Secret NSA Google Search Tips
Posted: 09 May 2013 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07

These tips are old hat in many circles, but some here may find them interesting.

Untangling the Web: A Guide to Internet Research(.pdf)

Article here. “The book was published by the Center for Digital Content of the National Security Agency, and is filled with advice for using search engines, the Internet Archive and other online tools.”

Although I personally believe these tips are legal, as noted, some of them have gotten people in trouble.

Posted: 11 May 2013 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1365
Joined  2007-01-29

Thanks.  A lot to digest, though, and not without risk.

Posted: 11 May 2013 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3477
Joined  2007-01-29

Looks interesting, though I don’t happen to be interested in stuff you need these techniques for (now, techniques for hacking 19th-century Russian literature and history, that I could get into!).  I can’t resist a cavil about the Wired article:

Lest you think that none of this is new, that Johnny Long has been talking about this for years at hacker conferences and in his book Google Hacking, you’d be right.

“Lest” makes no sense there; they want “If” or “In case” (and “you’re” would be better than “you’d be").

Posted: 12 May 2013 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07

The operator that I most often use in research is the pdf search. There is a lot of stuff in pdfs that isn’t on web pages and doesn’t come up unless you target pdfs specifically.

‹‹ Access to JSTOR      Server Acting Up? ››