PIE
Posted: 25 May 2013 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2009-09-27

Can anyone give me some references to Proto-Indian (PIE): that to which most languages refer?

I am looking for History, How today’s languages trace back, etc.

So many places reference PIE, and I am simply trying to grow in my knowledge of it other than searching all over Google.
Thanks in advance.

Posted: 25 May 2013 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  647
Joined  2011-04-10

You might try looking in one of those big unabridged dictionaries such as Webster’s Third New International Dictionary. There should be a section with rather detailed information on the general history of language.

I don’t see how you will avoid using a search engine.

Posted: 25 May 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4609
Joined  2007-01-03

I’ve never run across a nice, authoritative overview of PIE and its descendants for the layperson. All the work I’ve seen has been rather technical and eye-glazingly dull, unless you’re really into patterns of sound changes and reading long lists of reconstructed roots.

The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language, edited by David Crystal, has a decent, short overview. A nice place to start, although I’m not sure it will tell you anything Wikipedia doesn’t.

I haven’t read it, but you might want to try The Horse, The Wheel, and Language by David W. Anthony (Princeton Univ. Press, 2007). Although I believe this book focuses on the speakers of PIE, and not its daughter languages. (Which tells me that it’s highly speculative, which is why I haven’t read it yet.)

Posted: 26 May 2013 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3420
Joined  2007-01-29

PIE stands for Proto-Indo-European, not Proto-Indian.

The best short introduction I know is Calvert Watkins’s introduction to the Appendix of Indo-European Roots (Appendix I) in AHD; it’s available online (via the Wayback Machine) here.  If you really want to dig into it, I can recommend The Oxford Introduction to Proto-Indo-European and the Proto-Indo-European World, which is pricy but thorough.

Posted: 10 June 2013 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-08-24

I’m quite fond of the American Heritage Dictionary, because my desktop copy has I nice big appendix of PIE, and it was my first exposure to same. I love to follow “see -kweu in appendix” and find odd connections. Downside: sometimes takes me an hour to look up a word…

Posted: 11 June 2013 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3420
Joined  2007-01-29

Exactly!  But be careful—the first edition led to me going to grad school and spending several years and thousands of dollars there (I would say “wasting,” because I never got the PhD, but in fact I’m not sorry I took those courses in Old Irish, Gothic, Hittite, etc.).

‹‹ Sic semper tyrannis      Compleat / complete ››