Ginch? 
Posted: 06 June 2013 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-08-24

(Not the big green guy--that has an R in it.) The discussion on Canadianisms reminded me of a term I heard on TV some time back. Context was a reality show with folks trekking along old gold rush route (Canada, nit California) with period gear, in period clothing. One tired lady sighed “all I want is to get back into my own ginch.” I took it to mean that she missed her modern undies--maybe a brand name that became a general term.  Ring any bells?

Posted: 07 June 2013 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3109
Joined  2007-02-26

Can’t find anything on it in a reputable reference work.

Wiktionary on the other hand says “Variation of gotch, from Ukrainian ґатки (gátky).”.

But don’t bet the house on Wiktionary.

Posted: 07 June 2013 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4752
Joined  2007-01-03

It’s not in the Dictionary of Canadianisms on Historical Principles, 1st ed., which means it probably didn’t become common until after 1967 (if indeed it is common, a point on which there is some debate).

Ginch Gonch is a Montreal-based purveyor of designer underwear, but seems to have taken its name from the dialect term, not vice versa.

Posted: 08 June 2013 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3109
Joined  2007-02-26

On a barely related note, my four year old son calls his nutsack his “crinch” and we can’t work out why.

Posted: 09 June 2013 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2022
Joined  2007-02-19

Ginch is new to me - gatky is not.  Gatkes is Yiddish for underwear - specifically, underpants. Lange gatkes (sometimes referred to as napoleonchikes) are “long johns”

(I’m not any sort of authority on Yiddish, but that is one of numerous Yiddish words which have gained common currency in modern colloquial Hebrew)

Posted: 10 June 2013 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-08-24

Well.  Following Ginch Gonch was a revelation. More guys’ undies than gals’. So much beefcake...do people still say that?  Anyway, as is so often the case, I learned another new (to me) word: boifriend. With an I. See, erstwhile spokesmodels for the brand were boifriends IRL, i.e. a gay couple. Urban Dic says boi originated as androgynous or butch lesbian.  So, boi is genderbent both ways?