Limited availability
Posted: 02 July 2013 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2805
Joined  2007-01-31

I’m traveling, visiting my wife’s family, and have discovered that I inadvertently left my Mac laptop power supply at home.  I only have a few hours of battery life to cover the next week, so my participation will be limited.  Regards.

Posted: 02 July 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4652
Joined  2007-01-03

I just did the same thing visiting family in New Jersey. But I picked up a power supply at Best Buy. It was either that or no dissertation work for a week.

Posted: 10 July 2013 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-31

I thought about it, but I already have three compatible power supplies; I just didn’t have one in my bag as I thought.  Fortunately, I was able to use my sister-in-law’s PC (painful though it was) to complete an editing assignment I had contracted to do.

Posted: 12 July 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1970
Joined  2007-02-19

Happy band, only needing one computer apiece.  I normally use a Mac (because several young people in my family are Mac buffs, and provide valuable support).  I love my Mac, but Microsoft Office for Mac does not support Hebrew. I have to use Microsoft Office: the Hebrew documents I translate for a living (if you call that a living ;-) are all produced in Microsoft Office programs (Word, PowerPoint). So I have two computers on my desk, with a switch which enables me to use the same monitor for both. Fortunately, one of them (the Mac Mini) is small enough to sit on top of the other, and leave enough room on my desk for a large display screen.
I suppose that anyone who has to work with two scripts which go in different directions has the same difficulties. I read about Dr. T’s problems with rueful envy.

Posted: 12 July 2013 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-31

There are various ways of running Windows apps on a Mac that you might want to explore if you would really prefer to use only one computer.  Boot Camp (built into the Mac OS) lets you choose between Windows and MacOS when booting the machine, and VirtualBox (freeware) lets you emulate a Windows machine and run apps without having to reboot.

Posted: 13 July 2013 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4652
Joined  2007-01-03

How well does VirtualBox work?

I’m not getting a new machine anytime soon, but with Windows 8 the way it is, I’m wary of sticking with Microsoft. (Although their pattern is to release one totally crap OS then two decent ones, so maybe I’ll be okay.) The only thing holding me back from going with a Mac is the software that I’ve invested in and regularly use--which is worth more than the machine itself.

Posted: 13 July 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1970
Joined  2007-02-19

Thanks, Doc, I’ll consult my youthful gurus. I already have an. excellent virtual PC on my Mac (Parallels Desktop). To tell the truth, I’ve stopped using it - I find that having my PC and my Mac working simultaneously is much more convenient than I ever thought it would be. All I need is a double-click to switch from one to the other—it’s practically instantaneous.

Posted: 14 July 2013 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-31

To be honest, I haven’t made a lot of use of VirtualBox, since the Mac apps meet my needs.  I was able to install the Microsoft Office suite and they all seem to work OK.  There are some issues with USB communication, as I recall. I’m sure Parallels is better, but you can’t beat VB for price.  An important thing to know about VirtualBox (and, I believe, most of the other Windows virtualization software) is that it just emulates the machine: you have to provide Windows (I’ve been using XP).

‹‹ DSNA      text enhance ads ››