“Llan” and “Lluc”
Posted: 07 July 2013 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-11-24

Has anybody noticed the similarity between these two words, the former is Welsh,and means, as far as I can understand “an enclosure” there are many place names in Wales that begin with this prefix. Whilst on holiday in Mallorca,I was struck with the fact that ,on that island many placenames start with “Lluc”. Llucmajor, for example. What I would like to ask is , would there be any semantic connection there,although separate by about a thousand miles, perhaps they are from the same celtic root word.

Posted: 07 July 2013 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4742
Joined  2007-01-03

There is no connection, just a coincidental double L. Nor would one expect to find a Celtic toponym in the Balearic Islands. (Just possibly in mainland Spain, if such names could survive the waves of Romans, Goths and Visigoths, Moors, and then Spanish, but I don’t think the Celts ever settled the Balearics.)

The Welsh llan means “field.”

The Balearic place name Lluc comes from the Latin lucus or “grove.”

(Plugging “llan” into Google Translate gives the English result of “glebe.” Not sure if they’re going for an archaic vibe, but that’s not terribly helpful. What’s wrong with “field”?)

Posted: 08 July 2013 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2007-06-20

I’d suspect Google’s translation may be to do with the connection between “glebe”, meaning “portion of land associated with the local church” and the way that “llan” is generally coupled with a saint’s name to indicate “parish of” , eg “Llanfair”, “Parish of St Mary”, “Llandudno”, “parish of St Tudno”. My understanding was that the normal Welsh word for “field” was “maes”, as in “Maesteg”, “Fair field”.

‹‹ Evolution of language      unusual eke name ››