Time to stop avoiding grammar rules
Posted: 18 August 2013 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2012-12-28

Another article that undoubtedly will ruffle a few feathers, or many.

Regardless, quite informative.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/sep/18/teach-grammar-rules

Posted: 18 August 2013 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-08-16

Interesting article. Can’t say I agree though, I think the teaching of grammar is very important. Just my opinion.

Posted: 18 August 2013 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4470
Joined  2007-01-03

First, the studies mentioned in the piece (you have to go into the comments to find them) are all about English as a second language. They have no relevance as to whether or not grammar instruction is valuable to native speakers (who already know English grammar before they reach school-age and where such instruction is largely in terminology). Walter, the author of the piece, very disingenuously avoids making this point explicit.

I haven’t gone through the studies, but several of the commenters have and, according to them, they do not support the notion that grammar instruction is essential, not to the degree that Walter is claiming.

Third, Walter is the co-creator of an ESL grammar course. So she’s got a financial stake in promoting the concept.

So this says absolutely nothing about the value of teaching grammar to native speakers and is inconclusive about its value to ESL students. It’s another poorly written newspaper piece that adds nothing of substance to the debate.

Posted: 18 August 2013 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2012-12-28
TimLAdotnet - 18 August 2013 12:34 AM

Interesting article. Can’t say I agree though, I think the teaching of grammar is very important. Just my opinion.

But then you do agree with the article, for it too claims that the teaching of grammar is important?

‹‹ The mockers      The die is cast ››