BL: boycott
Posted: 26 August 2013 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4810
Joined  2007-01-03

I can’t believe I didn’t have this one on the Big List. One of the classics.

Posted: 26 August 2013 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2032
Joined  2007-02-19

The Bible has provided English speakers with several eponyms:
Judas = traitor, Jonah = unlucky person, Jezebel = an untrustworthy woman.  But these usually retain a capital letter, and are not as totally absorbed into everyday speech as boycott; and they are not used as verbs. Oscar Wilde gave us an eponymous verb ("to bunbury"); and “bugger” (noun and verb), “spartan”, and “epicurean” might be considered eponyms, though deriving from names of social groups rather than of individuals. “quisling” has lost his capital letter, but has not attained the hallowed verb status.
I’m sure that pretty soon someone on this forum is going to come up with a match for “boycott”. The nearest I can think of right now is “guillotine”.

Posted: 26 August 2013 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2860
Joined  2007-01-31

A previous thread in which we gaudily discussed eponymous verbs (and adjectives).

[ Edited: 26 August 2013 01:43 PM by Dr. Techie ]

Posted: 26 August 2013 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2032
Joined  2007-02-19

Dr. T: You’re uncanny. I shouldn’t be in the least surprised, if on the Day of Judgment, you are fingered for the job of Recording Angel, calling up embarrassing reminders of matters long lost in the mists of forgetfulness

(reaches for cheap bottle of waters of Lethe, further to empurple already roseate face)

;-)

But I’ll stick with guillotine, and add hoover.

‹‹ Babies are the coolest      BL: crash blossom ››