RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4611
Joined  2007-01-03

Blooming crash blossoms

Posted: 27 August 2013 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2994
Joined  2007-02-26

I think that in another thread, I mentioned one of my favourite examples: “Financing challenges dog miners as industry churns through cycle”

Posted: 27 August 2013 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2785
Joined  2007-01-31

My favorite is “British Left Waffles on Falkland Islands,” but alas I have seen no evidence that this headline was actually printed in a newspaper.  Why people think they need to make such things up when there are so many true examples is a mystery, but that’s the world we live in.

If you have access to ProQuest (my college unfortunately seems to have cancelled its subscription), you might be able to verify or refute this.  As mentioned in this thread, a variety of sources, including at least one apparently scholarly book, give a specific date and newspaper (April 28, 1982, The Guardian) for the headline, which to my mind increases the likelihood it is real.  At the time of that thread, the digitization of back issues had not reached 1982, but based on the description of the archives at the Guardian site, it should have by now. (However, they apparently no longer offer archival access at their own site, only through ProQuest.)

[ Edited: 27 August 2013 08:23 AM by Dr. Techie ]

Posted: 27 August 2013 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2012-01-10

@OPT: nice!  So unfair, those poor mining dogs being expected to unravel the mysteries of financing.

Of the three headlines in the BL, the only one that confused me was the first ("Girl found alive in France murders car.").  That one gets bonus points, as it features both a crash blossom and what Language Log calls a “noun pile” (three nouns is a rather small pile, by BBC standards, but it is still unusual by Leftpondian standards.).  What threw me off was not the crash blossom itself: I knew right away that “murders” was a noun and that “France murders” was a unit, but I was baffled as to what a “France murders car” was.  I eventually worked out that the girl was found alive in a car that was somehow associated with the “France murders”, but still wasn’t sure how the car qualified as a “France murders car.”.  The whole thing made me curious enough to google the headline and read the story, showing, I guess, that this particular headline did a masterful job of accomplishing one of its key objectives: teasing the story.

Posted: 27 August 2013 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  806
Joined  2007-03-01

Has anybody ever verified (or disproved) the legendary British WWII headline (or possibly newsstand poster) ‘Eighth Army Push Bottles Up Germans’?

Posted: 27 August 2013 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4611
Joined  2007-01-03

I’ve got access to The Guardian from 1981 onward. It doesn’t appear to be there.