3 of 3
BL: crash blossom
Posted: 12 November 2017 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2007-06-14

Headline from my local newspaper-

Tractor-Trailer Tips While Unloading Lime in Damariscotta

Next time you need to unload a trailer full of agricultural lime, read the article for tips on what
not to do.

http://lcnme.com/currentnews/tractor-trailer-tips-unloading-lime-damariscotta/

Posted: 12 November 2017 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1173
Joined  2007-03-01

Presumably the name of the truck driver concerned, Randy Friend, isn’t funny at all in Leftpondia?

[ Edited: 13 November 2017 02:44 AM by Syntinen Laulu ]

Posted: 13 November 2017 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1510
Joined  2007-02-14
Syntinen Laulu - 12 November 2017 10:57 PM

Presumably the name of the truck driver concerned, Randy Friend, isn’t funny at all in Leftpondia?

I don’t think it would go by unnoticed.  As to the crash-blossomness of the headline I had to read it with the notion that it was a crash blossom to get the unintended reading, I would think the unintended reading would require For instead of While.  Also it would be something like Damariscotta Dumping Regulations...

Posted: 13 November 2017 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6323
Joined  2007-01-03
Faldage - 13 November 2017 03:10 AM

I don’t think it would go by unnoticed.  As to the crash-blossomness of the headline I had to read it with the notion that it was a crash blossom to get the unintended reading, I would think the unintended reading would require For instead of While.  Also it would be something like Damariscotta Dumping Regulations...

Randy is a pretty common name here in Leftpondia, so while I’m sure he has gotten his share of jibes over the years, most people wouldn’t react upon hearing the name.

The point of a crash blossom is that what comes after the critical, bipolar word (in this case tips) doesn’t really matter. If you read it as a noun, the rest of the sentence will be interpreted that way. Sometimes the result is misunderstanding, sometimes, as in this case, it may just bring confusion.

Posted: 14 November 2017 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1510
Joined  2007-02-14
Dave Wilton - 13 November 2017 04:49 AM

Randy is a pretty common name here in Leftpondia, so while I’m sure he has gotten his share of jibes over the years, most people wouldn’t react upon hearing the name.

True, but when linked to a last name that can be interpreted as a common noun referring to a human it can make the name a little more susceptible to such japery.  I interpreted the question to be asking if randy was used in South Leftpondia with that meaning.

Dave Wilton - 13 November 2017 04:49 AM

The point of a crash blossom is that what comes after the critical, bipolar word (in this case tips) doesn’t really matter. If you read it as a noun, the rest of the sentence will be interpreted that way. Sometimes the result is misunderstanding, sometimes, as in this case, it may just bring confusion.

I guess I just didn’t see the normal headline grammar in Leftpondia being used in that way to indicate that what follows would be a list of suggestions for action in a situation.  I’d expect something more like:

Tips for Unloading Semis in Damariscotta.

Posted: 04 December 2017 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3986
Joined  2007-02-26

Pratt Tribune’s contribution
First-hand-job-experience.jpeg

Posted: 04 December 2017 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1173
Joined  2007-03-01

It’s a mystery to me why the humble hyphen seems to be in such disfavour nowadays. If the writer or the compositor had just tucked one in between first and hand, which would have been second nature a generation ago, it would have been next to impossible to misread that headline.

Posted: 05 December 2017 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4514
Joined  2007-01-29

And in fact firsthand is one word in both M-W and NOAD.  I can’t help but suspect that someone deliberately chose the ambiguity for the yuks.

Posted: 06 December 2017 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2007-04-19

In this case, a technical error led to a crash blossom that should never have been a headline in the first place:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-42250212

I can imagine someone seeing this and wondering whether a 100-point splash is some sort of storm, or possibly a tsunami. Whatever it is, it’s on its way!

Posted: 06 December 2017 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4514
Joined  2007-01-29

TK, as we used to say in the trade.  Thanks, that was a good laugh!

3 of 3