RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4787
Joined  2007-01-03

Frakking Hollywood screenwriters

Posted: 13 September 2013 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07

It makes no frakking sense, but there it is.

I wonder what psychological process is involved with euphemisms in the first place. As you point out, it’s a weird disconnect from the word vs the meaning.

Posted: 13 September 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2013-08-17

Euphemisms like frak have a long history. They’ve been around for as long as people have been getting upset by particular words. But seldom has a euphemism been used as a perfect synonym in 100% of original word’s uses. There is no semantic difference between frak and its forbidden cousin; the only difference is a couple of phonemes. It is not the meaning or the sentiment that is considered offensive and therefore censored, it is the sound of the word. It is not the idea that is banned, but the particular form that idea takes. It makes no frakking sense, but there it is.

You F-word, you N-word, you C-word! 

Strange days indeed.
If these constructions have no meanings they would not be words.

Reality, of course, doesn’t give a S-word.

[ Edited: 13 September 2013 06:54 PM by milum ]

Posted: 13 September 2013 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4787
Joined  2007-01-03

I didn’t say they had no meaning. I said that euphemisms seldom have the full range of meanings and uses the words they replace do. What makes frak unusual is that it does and still functions as a euphemism.

Your examples are cases in point. It’s not idiomatic English to say “you F-word.” The term F-word is used to refer to the word fuck itself. One might say, “he said the F-word,” but never “mother-F-worder!”

[ Edited: 13 September 2013 07:28 PM by Dave Wilton ]