Finding entries in the Big List
Posted: 21 August 2007 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2007-02-14

Maybe I’m missing something obvious (it wouldn’t be the first time) but I find it difficult to find specific entries on the Big LIst.  All I see, besides the entries on the first page, is a little unhelpful index on the bottom

Page 1 of 6 pages 1 2 3 > Last ยป

Even if I’m going to guess that the entry I’m looking for is on the next to last page it takes two clicks just to get there to find out I’m wrong.  More helpful woud be to have all the pages available through a range, e.g., A-COT, COW-GUN.

Posted: 21 August 2007 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4597
Joined  2007-01-03

That’s one of the things on my to do list. Grant Barrett sent me code samples for how to create an alphabetic list in the Expression Engine software (we both use it to power our respective sites). I’ve been putting off doing it because it would be a major overhaul of the site’s templates--not a big deal visibly, but quite a lot of dull, scut work under the covers.

I’ll bump it up on the priority list. It would make a good Labor Day weekend project.

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2776
Joined  2007-01-31

Not to discourage Dave from a worthwhile project, but the Search box is helpful in these cases.  Don’t let years of frustration with EZboard’s worthless POS prevent you from using the search engine here, which actually works.

Posted: 21 August 2007 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4597
Joined  2007-01-03

Two different ways to get at the info. The search box really does work here. I’ve seen a few anomalies, but most of the time it works like gangbusters.

The alphabetical scheme is to make browsing of the Big List easier, jump to the letter M, etc.

Posted: 22 August 2007 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2007-02-14

Yeah, the Search function worked just fine.  I pluged in nine yards and the entry I was looking for came up as number two of three.  That should keep me happy for a while.