My accent
Posted: 08 October 2013 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2007-01-29

BlackGrey mentioning his Scottish accent in “The versatility of fuck” thread made me wonder what accent does everyone here think they have?  Mine is either northern English (to a southerner) or southern English (to a northerner) while to those really in the know, has a faint trace of South African.  My children started school in the north east and were immediately told they were “posh”.  Within a week they had the broad northern accents of which they are now rightly and defiantly (in some circles) proud.  While at university in more southerly regions, they were frequently asked to say the word, “No” because its pronunication is unique to north east England.

Posted: 08 October 2013 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2232
Joined  2007-01-30

I, of course, living in Southern England and speaking the Queen’s English, have no accent at all. :)

Seriously my accent is halfway between Oxford English and Estuary English, or so I’d place it. My father spoke broad Glaswegian Scots, although his parents were Donegal Irish who had migrated to Scotland in the 1880s. My mother had a pure Devonshire accent, although she lost much of it on moving to London in the 40s. Her accent then settled into RP, although whenever we visited the family in North Devon out would come the broad Devonian, perfectly preserved as a fly in amber.

Posted: 08 October 2013 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2745
Joined  2007-01-31

I spent my life from childhood up until a decade ago in the Midlands and northern Midwest regions of the US, and my accent is thus pretty much “newscaster” or “General American”.

Posted: 08 October 2013 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4478
Joined  2007-01-03

I have a pretty typical Northeastern/New Jersey accent, but not the highly exaggerated Joisey accent that you hear on TV and almost no one in real life actually uses.

Posted: 08 October 2013 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1129
Joined  2007-02-14

I’m mostly Northern Urban with a soup├žon of Boston and maybe some southwest US.  some other accent.  I will occasionally put on some other accent more or less (probably less) successfully.

Posted: 08 October 2013 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  700
Joined  2007-02-07

Newscaster American here; very middle of the road.

I regularly speak with people from all over the US and pronounced regional accents are the exception, in my experience. It’s not unusual to hear a regional flavor in an accent, but stereotypical accents like “cowboy Texan” or “Southern Belle” are much less common.

Posted: 09 October 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  634
Joined  2011-04-10

I sometimes tell people from Boston, “It’s nice to meet someone who speaks without an accent.”

Posted: 10 October 2013 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3337
Joined  2007-01-29

Middle-of-the-road American here too.  My father was from the Ozarks (and when I talk with that side of the family my voice tends to take on an Okie twang), my mother from Iowa (Norwegian-American, but no Norsk accent), and I grew up all over the world (my father was in the foreign service), so no regional accent for me!

Posted: 10 October 2013 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  319
Joined  2007-02-13

I would call mine “North Jersey Middle Class”.  However if I was moved to say something like “Fuck the Giants.  They suck and Coughlin’s an asshole and Eli can’t throw for shit” then my working class roots would be exposed.

Posted: 10 October 2013 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2895
Joined  2007-02-26

General Australian, verging on Broad when I spend a lot of time in rural areas.

Posted: 12 October 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1889
Joined  2007-02-19

Like languagehat, I grew up in more than one country, and can’t claim a regional accent. But my father was from Merseyside, and I spent several years as a student at Liverpool University, and I guess that’s left its mark on my speech. In North America, people take me for an Anglo of some kind: in the UK, I am occasionally asked if I’m Welsh, or Irish. In Spain, Catalans ask me if I’m from Andalusia.  All Latin American regional Spanish accents have their origins in Andalusia, from whence the Spanish colonized and ruled the New World. The Archivo de las Indias is in Seville, not Madrid.

Posted: 18 October 2013 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2007-02-13

Despite not living there for 40 years, my frequent “refresher” courses (family visits) means I retain my Sunderland/Durham (N.E. England) accent. Note this is NOT Geordie, something I am sure Eliza can appreciate ;-)
Mind you I can detect changes in the dialect when I go back.

Posted: 19 October 2013 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  700
Joined  2007-02-07

Has mass media had an effect on local accents? Are accents going away?

Posted: 19 October 2013 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2007-01-29

Very good question, and I’ll pinch it for the General forum, happydog. I’d be interested to hear about other areas.

‹‹ Aldiboronti      Mandarin pop view numbers ››