BL: mind-meld
Posted: 19 October 2013 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4652
Joined  2007-01-03

My mind to your mind, my thoughts to your thoughts...

Posted: 19 October 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2308
Joined  2007-01-30

Yes, I remember Spock mind-melding in the series, usually with highly dramatic touches to underline how dangerous and draining this could be for Spock. I had no idea the phrase had escaped the bounds of the Trekkie universe though. Telepaths making mind connections go way back to SF’s Golden Age (30s, 40s) I’m sure but I can’t recall any particular names that were used for the process. One of my very favourite SF authors. Alfred Bester, wrote his classic novel The Demolished Man in the 50s with telepathic detectives locking on to suspects’ minds searching for information on crimes. Again, I don’t recall what Bester called the process. I know he used the word jaunting for teleportation in one of his other novels and that was picked up by several later writers.

Posted: 19 October 2013 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1970
Joined  2007-02-19

he used the word jaunting for teleportation in one of his other novels

It was “The Stars My Destination”. I agree with you, aldi—I think Bester was one of the finest writers of the 24-karat age of SF.

Posted: 19 October 2013 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3447
Joined  2007-01-29

I too agree—a wonderful writer.

Posted: 19 October 2013 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2007-02-13

In Asimov’s “Foundation” series (mid 50s onwards), the Mule and the Second Foundation used “Mentalics”.  Not described as telepathy, but as a way of influencing others.  Anyway, I have never heard the term used anywhere else; it remains trapped somewhere in the future…

Posted: 19 October 2013 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2805
Joined  2007-01-31

As I recall, in The Demolished Man, mind-reading by telepaths was referred to as “peeping”.  Like much telepathy in science fiction, it differed from the Vulcan mind-meld in that the subject was generally unaware of the process and communication was essentially one-way.  It was not a communion of minds. 

I think we have discussed before that the protagonist of The Demolished Man deliberately gets a jingle stuck in his head (an “earworm” in current slang) to help screen his thoughts from telepaths.

Posted: 20 October 2013 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3447
Joined  2007-01-29

I got this by putting “tensor” in the search box.

‹‹ Mugger, Mugged      Are accents disappearing? ››