Podcasts
Posted: 27 October 2013 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4611
Joined  2007-01-03

Now that I have a new dog, or new to me at least, I’m doing a lot more walking, and as a result I’m looking for new podcasts to listen to as I find I’m running out. Any suggestions? The ones I currently subscribe to are:

Astronomy Cast. Weekly half hour podcast on the science of astronomy.

Atheists Talk Radio Show. A weekly radio show by the Minnesota Atheists organization. An hour on topics related to atheism.

In Our Time With Melvyn Bragg. A weekly hour of the BBC Radio 4 show on the history of ideas and all sorts of sundry topics.

KQED’s Forum. Two hours each weekday discussing current events in depth. (I only end up downloading about a third of the episodes, those that interest me. Many of the topics are local to the Bay Area.

Lexicon Valley. A sporadically podcast hour on language. Truly excellent. If you’re not listening to this, you should be.

MonsterTalk. A scientific take on monsters and cryptozoology. An hour, sporadic, usually about twice a month.

NPR’s Planet Money. Twenty minutes, twice a week, on economic topics presented for non-economists.

NPR’s Snap Judgment. I just started listening to this. Storytelling centered around a particular topic. Similar to This American Life, but with a different vibe.

Radiolab. Hour-long (sometimes they present “Short” programs) discussions of a topic with an innovative and offbeat style.

Savage Lovecast. Not for the prudish. A weekly 45 minutes on sex with Dan Savage.

Science for the People. A weekly hour on a science topic (or topics) that affect ordinary people. (It’s Canadian too!)

Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe. A weekly hour and twenty minutes on science and skepticism.

Skeptoid. A weekly, ten-minute podcast debunking various urban legends, hoaxes, and false beliefs.

This American Life. The now-classic radio show, an hour weekly.

A Way With Words. An light-hearted yet scholarly, weekly, hour-long discussion of words and language.

Posted: 27 October 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  647
Joined  2011-04-10

You might find a few of these to be interesting:

http://www.onlinedegrees.org/40-fun-podcasts-for-science-geeks/

Posted: 28 October 2013 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1253
Joined  2007-03-21

I’ve got some of those but here are some others that occupy my time:

Stuff you should know If you haven’t listened to this one, the archives will keep you occupied for the next year or two.

How stuff works--stuff you missed in history class: These two ladies are immensely entertaining. The last two podcasts on how Disneyland came to be are worth the investment of time. Did you know that the “roll out” of Disneyland in the mid-fifties was a disaster? People faked entry passes and the park was overcrowded on day one. 110 degrees. Plumbers strike so that there were no water fountains. They laid the asphalt the night before so that shoes sunk in and were lost. You think Obamacare had a rough roll-out!

Ted Radio Hour: a compendium of short versions of Ted Talks that point you to the full Talk. “Based on Talks given by riveting speakers on the world-renowned TED stage, each show is centered on a common theme - such as the source of happiness, crowd-sourcing innovation, power shifts, or inexplicable connections.”

Posted: 28 October 2013 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21

Just for the record, I can’t stand A Way with Words. Waaay too light and giggly and cute. I haven’t listened in a long time so maybe they’ve toned things down. Sorry Grant…

Just listened to the one about “doobies.” Ugh

[ Edited: 28 October 2013 09:15 AM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 29 October 2013 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1365
Joined  2007-01-29

Thanks for that, Dave and oeco. I find Bragg’s style (and his books) too laboured and heavy-going, though.

Posted: 29 October 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

I don’t particularly like Bragg himself. He has a tendency to insert himself into the interview and often insists that he knows more about the topic than the subject-matter experts he gets on the show—who are invariably superbly qualified to speak on the subject at hand. Some of the In Our Time podcasts are heavy going and dull, but I always give each one a try, even if I switch it off after ten minutes, because there are sometimes gems with a title that sounds dull.

As for A Way With Words, it is light-hearted, and that may not be to everyone’s taste. What Grant and Martha do, they do superbly, and not everything needs to be discussed sonorously and with gravitas.

Thanks for the suggestions. There are some ones that I’m definitely going to try out.

Posted: 03 March 2014 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21

I’m a recent listener to ”The Bugle”. I’ve LOOOOVED John Oliver formerly of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart (and wish by God he were still there). In this podcast he has been coupled with the English comedian Andy Zaltzman. This most recent take on Crimea and the Ukraine (Crimea River) is by far the funniest thing I’ve listened to for a very long time. And the irony will not be lost on any of us.

This has been running since October 2007. Can’t believe that I’ve missed it. We’ve got archives to dig into!

edit: and dogs to walk!

[ Edited: 03 March 2014 10:08 PM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 06 March 2014 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3421
Joined  2007-01-29

Thanks, as another John Oliver fan I’m glad to know about the podcast.  (Even though in practice I never seem to find time to listen to podcasts.)

Posted: 06 March 2014 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

I’ll also chime in on The Bugle. I just listened to the “Crimea River” episode and the podcast catapulted to the top of my listening schedule.