Thoroly
Posted: 28 October 2013 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2007-02-13

Shopping at the supermarket last week I happened upon a display of Coors Banquet beer on sale.  It had been years since I had quaffed a Coors, so I picked up a six-pack of 12-ounce bottles and brought them home. I enjoyed one with my supper tonigh, and for the first time I noticed the label said “Thoroly Aged”. This is the first time I’ve seen the word intentionally spelled this way. The label also bears the inscription “Commemorative 1936 Bottle”. Here’s a link to what the label looks like. I’m wondering if people were spelling the word that way in 1936, and why.

I’m fine with spelling reform, but was thoroughly (or should I say thoroly) taken aback.

Posted: 28 October 2013 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2807
Joined  2007-01-31

"Thoro” was one of the simplified spellings championed by Colonel McCormick in the Chicago Tribune, and although he was something of a crank, he was hardly alone.  There was a significant movement for spelling reform in the early 20th century; maybe Adolph Coors, Jr. was a supporter.  His dad changed the spelling of the family name from Kuhrs.

Posted: 29 October 2013 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3026
Joined  2007-02-26

Some of those -ugh and -gh elisions caught on, e.g thru, Westboro ...

Hey, when and where did the name Thorogood come about?

I am assuming that it is a simplification of Thoroughgood, which dates at least to the early 17th century (Adam Thoroughgood was one of the early colonists in Virginia.)

Are there any examples of Thorogood that date before the 19th century?

I don’t think that the word “thoro” ever had any currency in Australia but there are Australians called Thorogood, such as the football player Ian Thorogood.

Perhaps there were a number of unrelated incidents of people called Thoroughgood simplifying their name, rather than it all crashing like a wave.

EDIT:
Always check Wikipedia first.
WP tells me that Adam’s father’s name was Thorowgood. :-/

[ Edited: 29 October 2013 12:30 AM by OP Tipping ]

Posted: 29 October 2013 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4658
Joined  2007-01-03

According to Mencken’s The American Language, 1:400, thoroly was one of the spelling reforms suggested by the National Education Association in 1898. Thoro and thoroly, along with boro, were among the changes promulgated by another group, the Simplified Spelling Board, in 1919 (1:402–03). The NEA abandoned the spelling reform effort in 1921.

Posted: 29 October 2013 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3026
Joined  2007-02-26

Quitters.