RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4478
Joined  2007-01-03

See the mighty OED being made

Posted: 14 November 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2007-02-23

Watching this last weekend the wife joked that in 1925 printing the OED employed all those people and now it might be done by some pimple faced kid with a supply of Red Bull.

Posted: 15 November 2013 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  334
Joined  2007-02-13

Thanks for sharing that Dave.  What a great little film.  I’ve always been interested in how things are/were manufactured.  I love the television series How It’s Made.  One of the reasons Moby Dick is a favorite of mine is the great detail that Melville goes into describing the whaling industry.  I even enjoyed Laura Ingalls Wilder’s books as an adult because of the detailed descriptions of how they manufactured the necessities of life.

Posted: 15 November 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1888
Joined  2007-02-19

now it might be done by some pimple faced kid with a supply of Red Bull.

A couple of years ago I had a book printed --- it had almost 100 pages B&W, with photographs, front & back inside & outside covers in full colour. I took the compact disc to the printing house at about 1100 hours. The manager (no pimply kid, a businesslike young woman) said “come back at around 1500”.  I did, and 200 copies were boxed and waiting for me. The cost: the equivalent of approx US$4 per copy. True, it had soft covers and the pages were stapled. Later I hard a hardback edition printed, with sewn pages. That took 3 days and cost 3 times a much per book, for 100 copies. The binding made the difference.
Anyone can write a book nowadays, and get it printed at little cost, or publish it on-line. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I remember reading a very witty novelette by William Golding, about a citizen of ancient Rome who invents a printing press, gunpowder, and a ballistic missile, and offers them to the Emperor. The Emperor, after reflecting briefly, offers the inventor a job as ambassador to China, effective immediately.....

‹‹ Help with "in like Flynn"      jackass ››