enclave
Posted: 19 November 2013 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  354
Joined  2007-02-13

My company recently built a new building which my colleagues and I have been reassigned to.  It incorporates a number of modern workplace design features.  One of these features are small meeting rooms (two or three per floor) where we can have impromptu meetings, or where supervisors who do not have an office can speak privately with employees. The company is calling these rooms enclaves.  That doesn’t sound right, and I’m wondering if it’s an architectural term, of if the powers that be are thinking of another, more appropriate word to describe these rooms.  Perhaps it’s just a new way of using an old term. To me, an enclave is like the Vatican, or maybe Chinatown. Can anyone think of a better word?

Posted: 19 November 2013 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2836
Joined  2007-01-31

Locutoria.

Posted: 19 November 2013 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  825
Joined  2007-03-01

What’s wrong with ‘meeting room’?

Posted: 20 November 2013 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2014
Joined  2007-02-19

Why not give them a touch of military cachet, and call them “firing chambers”

Posted: 20 November 2013 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4740
Joined  2007-01-03

The Philosophy department here at U of T calls their grad student lounge a “conversation lab.” (At least I assume it’s a grad student lounge. I just see it from the elevator when the door happens to open on the fourth floor.)

There may be a university issue over giving space to “lounges.” The English department grad student gathering place is a “multi-purpose room"—no comfy chairs, so it doesn’t qualify as a “lounge” in my book—and the Centre for Medieval Studies has a “Great Hall.”

Posted: 20 November 2013 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  354
Joined  2007-02-13
lionello - 20 November 2013 12:45 AM

Why not give them a touch of military cachet, and call them “firing chambers”

Yes, the running joke around here is that the true purpose of the rooms is to provide convenient places in order to fire people.

I suspect the word they were looking for was “alcove”, but someone referred to it as an “enclave” and the term stuck.

‹‹ HD: 12 Grammar Myths      Canadian suburbs ››