Neologistic pronouns, or just previously unknown to me? 
Posted: 30 November 2013 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2007-06-14

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/viewart/20131130/NEWS04/131130004/-Preferred-pronouns-gain-traction-US-colleges

This article mentions a number of “English” pronouns I hadn’t seen before.  These include ze, sie, e, ou and ve.

Are these terms, as English pronouns, recent inventions, or do they have some history?

Oxforddictionaries.com tells me that “ou” is:

noun

a fruit-eating Hawaiian honeycreeper with a stout bill and green and yellow plumage. Compare with o-o.

Posted: 30 November 2013 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1253
Joined  2007-03-21

The article you cite says that these are neologisms and time will tell whether or not they stick. The pronoun “they” as a singular indicator for “he or she” or “their” for “his or hers” took some time. But it has found an honorable place in even some formal writing.

Posted: 30 November 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2007-06-14

You’re right, Oecolampadius, at least as far as “ze” is concerned.  I didn’t see the others identified as neologisms, but I may have missed something.

Posted: 30 November 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4603
Joined  2007-01-03

The article you cite says that these are neologisms and time will tell whether or not they stick.

It is pretty much a given that these will not stick. The last time English added a pronoun to its repertoire was 800 years ago; it was they. Pronouns are called “closed-class” words for a reason. They don’t change readily. They’re somewhat more likely to shift in number or exactly what they refer to, as they has done recently and you has done in the past.

‹‹ BL: robot      Modern "Latin" ››