Nephilim
Posted: 07 December 2013 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2884
Joined  2007-02-26

Nephilim, in Genesis 6, and elsewhere.

The KJV has this as “giants”.

What would be a modern scholarly best-guess of the meaning of the Hebrew word nephilim, as used in the Pentateuch?

Posted: 07 December 2013 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2742
Joined  2007-01-31

An old discussion that touched on this.

Posted: 07 December 2013 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

Cheers greatly.

Dr Techie:

“Nephilim" is usually rendered as “giants” but I see web sites that claim it means “fallen ones” or “fellers” (i.e., those who cut down trees, men, etc.) and other things.

Big fellers, eh?

Wlm:

As far as I know, the Bible does not record any singular instance of Nephilim, but grammatically the form would be “naphil.”

The two sources I know of are Gen 6:4 where we have sons of the gods consorting with the daughters of men.

Seems an odd sort of thing to just throw in there but I take it they were relying on assumed knowledge among the readers.

Posted: 07 December 2013 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2742
Joined  2007-01-31

Big fellers, eh?

I am profoundly envious of that joke, and ashamed that it did not occur to me at the time.

Posted: 08 December 2013 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2007-03-21

Seems an odd sort of thing to just throw in there but I take it they were relying on assumed knowledge among the readers.

As my Old Testament professor used to put it, “The Bible is a ‘negotiated document.’” The Nephilim story was some group’s favorite story and they wouldn’t sign the Armageddon peace accord unless that was included. These are the stories I try to avoid. The other in Genesis that I cannot read in polite company is Genesis 19:31ff.

[ Edited: 08 December 2013 05:41 AM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 08 December 2013 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26

I have not heard of this Armageddon peace accord.

Posted: 08 December 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2007-03-21
OP Tipping - 08 December 2013 03:12 PM

I have not heard of this Armageddon peace accord.

Sorry, a joke. the attempt to build a united community necessitated accepting the treasured stories of others in the common history and one would expect that one’s own treasured stories would also be included in the accumulated history. It was a kind of peace accord toward a common witness.

There were many partners to this “peace accord” but two main groups seem to prevail. Thus two creation stories using two different words for God. That sort of thing. The narrative seems to get interrupted by stories which make no real sense in context. Some stories are repeated with different main characters. It’s important to keep all this in mind while reading this treasured document.

‹‹ Ham and egger      Style Guide Problems ››