BL: keener
Posted: 18 December 2013 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2007-01-03

This one has been rattling around in my head for a while, until a recent podcast prompted me to write about it.

Posted: 18 December 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2031
Joined  2007-02-19

Dear Mr. Wilton

Thank you for publishing your explanation of “keener” as being derived from the Irish, meaning “one who laments”. Your article acted upon me like a flash of celestial light, and I think I can provide an even more ancient origin for the term.  In Hebrew, the word for “a lament” is kinah (kof-yod-noon-heh, pronounced kee-nah) from the verb lekonen, “to lament, to mourn”. This expression exists in Irish due, of course, to the fact that the Irish (together with the other ancient British peoples, Celts, Picts, Scots, Angles, Saxons, etc.) are part of the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel.

There are, of course, scoffers and unbelievers who refuse to accept the truth, however overwhelming the evidence. One such scoffer said to me recently “You British Israelites are all bananas”, to which I was able to reply triumphantly yea! even from the mouth of the unbeliever shall the truth be proclaimed! For the word “bananas” is itself, in fact, also of Hebrew origin, from the expression benei-haness, meaning “Children of the miracle”.

Thank you once more, Mr. Wilton! You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Homer Emmett (omer emet*), British Israelite and True Believer.

* “Sayer of Truth”

http://www.british-israel.com/

Posted: 18 December 2013 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  359
Joined  2012-01-10

Is the name of the Japanese restaurant chain, Benihana, also ultimately of Hebrew origin?

Posted: 18 December 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2851
Joined  2007-01-31

Of course.  It was founded by (and named for) Benny and Hannah Goldberg.

Posted: 18 December 2013 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2007-01-03

Utter crap. Everyone knows that Britain was founded by Brutus, a refugee from Troy, as documented by Geoffrey of Monmouth.

Posted: 18 December 2013 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3130
Joined  2007-02-26
lionello - 18 December 2013 10:04 AM

Dear Mr. Wilton

There are, of course, scoffers and unbelievers who refuse to accept the truth, however overwhelming the evidence. One such scoffer said to me recently “You British Israelites are all bananas”, to which I was able to reply triumphantly yea! even from the mouth of the unbeliever shall the truth be proclaimed! For the word “bananas” is itself, in fact, also of Hebrew origin, from the expression benei-haness, meaning “Children of the miracle”.

Is this fellow taking the piss?

Posted: 18 December 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2007-02-14

Taking it?!  He’s literally drowning in it.

‹‹ Size      Generic Jack ››