Bean dip
Posted: 01 January 2014 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2007-03-01

Can any Leftpondians explain bean dip to me?

On encountering the phrase, I Googled it and found Urban Dictionary’s definition: 

To flick a woman’s (or man’s) breast with the index finger. Dubbed “bean dip” because the move is similar to that of scooping up bean dip.

This definition is in itself mystifying to me. Not only do I not know any kind of social situation where this would be an everyday enough act to need a term for it (have any other Rightpondians any experience of this gesture? I just don’t think anyone does that over here), I also can’t envisage such a flick being anything like the action of scooping up dip (with a tortilla chip or some such, presumably).

But it’s also mystifying because the contexts in which I have read bean dip don’t seem to allow for any such meaning; it appears to mean something like ‘duck the question’ or ‘dodge the issue’. For the life of me I can’t make any connection between flicking someone’s nipple and ducking an awkward question. Are these two senses totally unrelated, or are they connected and if so how?

Oh, and just for the record, bean dip as a food doesn’t really exist over here. That is, we do have many kinds of dip, and I wouldn’t swear that bean dip is never made or sold (though I’ve never seen it anywhere I shop, and have never knowingly eaten it), but it certainly isn’t a mainstream party snack food.

Posted: 01 January 2014 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3338
Joined  2007-01-29

In the first place, you should always take Urban Dictionary with large helpings of salt.  In the second place, if it’s a real thing, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t occur in “social situations.” And in the third place, if it’s a real thing, I’m quite sure it’s done there as well; you just have to move in the right (or wrong) circles.

Posted: 01 January 2014 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-01

I meant social situations in an anthropological sense, lh.

Posted: 01 January 2014 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1890
Joined  2007-02-19

we do have many kinds of dip, and I wouldn’t swear that bean dip is never made or sold

Do these include, by any chance, ful, a paste made from broad beans --- an ancient Middle Eastern food?  or possibly hummus or houmus, a paste made from chick-peas (sometimes referred to as “garbanzo beans")? Both of these could, at a stretch, qualify for the name “bean dip”

Posted: 01 January 2014 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-01

Ful, no; hummous, very much yes. (Just about every British town has had a Cypriot population since the 1970s, so items like hummous, tzatziki and taramosalata have become thoroughly naturalised in the British diet.) Yes, I can imagine that a dish of cooked beans whizzed in the blender has a roughly similar consistency to hummous, but I simply can’t agree that one could describe hummous as ‘bean dip’. The chickpea ain’t a bean!

Posted: 01 January 2014 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2745
Joined  2007-01-31

The chickpea ain’t a bean!

It’s more a bean than it is a pea.

Edit: BTW, I’ve never heard the nipple-flick sense of “bean dip” (or the “duck the question” sense).

[ Edited: 01 January 2014 12:39 PM by Dr. Techie ]

Posted: 01 January 2014 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2233
Joined  2007-01-30

Reading the UD entries, Sytinen, I think the social situations involved would be schoolyards, or playgrounds as we would say. I’ve never come across the expression before but that would probably apply to the majority of phrases submitted to UD.

Posted: 01 January 2014 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3338
Joined  2007-01-29

Reading the UD entries, Sytinen, I think the social situations involved would be schoolyards, or playgrounds as we would say

You have a much cleaner imagination than I do.

Edit: Reading OP’s comment, I rejoice in the correctness of my filthy imagination.

[ Edited: 01 January 2014 04:30 PM by languagehat ]

Posted: 01 January 2014 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2896
Joined  2007-02-26

This might be an example.
http://feministsaresexist.tumblr.com/post/43654392423/i-am-objectified-on-a-daily-basis-i-am-a-college

i am objectified on a daily basis. I am a college athlete so i have to stay in shape to stay in school, and my arms, back, chest are constantly groped. there are no qualms to reach under my shirt and rub my stomach as well. multiply that by 100 when out at a bar and people are drunk. one time i got “bean dipped” while drunk, so i bean dipped her right back and she looked at me with a shocked look on her face, like I didnt just do exactly what she did to me

This isn’t and example, but you might want to read it to learn more about this cryptic world of bean-dipping.
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=77690.0

EDIT:
This might be another example:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120520054855AA0dzrf

He’s always winking at me, squeezing my *** and he’s also bean dipped me (touched my boobs, I pushed him afterwards) 5 times,

[ Edited: 01 January 2014 03:11 PM by OP Tipping ]

Posted: 01 January 2014 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2745
Joined  2007-01-31

Your middle example has reminded me (I used to read Etiquette Hell with some regularity) of what is probably the origin of the phrase in the “dodge the question” sense.  The main writer at that site often recommends dealing with rude, intrusive, or otherwise unwelcome questions by obviously changing the subject, with the canonical example being “Have you tried the bean dip?”.  Looking over the site, I see that they refer to this technique as “beandipping”.

Posted: 02 January 2014 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  335
Joined  2007-02-13

Oh, and just for the record, bean dip as a food doesn’t really exist over here. That is, we do have many kinds of dip, and I wouldn’t swear that bean dip is never made or sold (though I’ve never seen it anywhere I shop, and have never knowingly eaten it), but it certainly isn’t a mainstream party snack food.

frito-lay%20bean%20dip.jpg

Found in virtually every supermarket, convenience store and possibly gas station in America.

Posted: 03 January 2014 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2007-02-23
Syntinen Laulu - 01 January 2014 05:16 AM

... Oh, and just for the record, bean dip as a food doesn’t really exist over here. ... 

Tesco Reduced Fat Mexican Bean Chilli Dip 182G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Posted: 04 January 2014 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2007-03-21

and possibly gas station in America.

I must assume that this was intentional and therefore offer you my most hearty congratulations!

Posted: 04 January 2014 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1890
Joined  2007-02-19

Hahahahaha!  Bravo, Oeco! you certainly took the wind out of “Fritos Bean Dip“‘s sales!

‹‹ Books Read, 2013      Funny ››