2 of 2
Mental Illness vs. Mental Disease
Posted: 24 October 2007 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2007-06-14

Thanks to all for the interesting, if at times off-topic, replies.  The OED first use information is especially helpful, and confirms my prior suspicions that mental illness is not a product of pulitical kerrectitude, though that may explain a portion of the preference for it. 

My user name was taken from something by Julio Cort├ízar I read in the late 1960s.  It’s not in the Diccionario de la RAE, so I’ll have to take your
word for my presumed condition.  My Peruvian colleagues confirm your apprehensions.

Posted: 24 October 2007 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3507
Joined  2007-01-29

Pay no attention to the idiot who called you names; I hope he/she/it has been banned by now.  I presumed your name was a variant of cuchufleta, but I’d be curious to know which Cortazar piece you found it in.

Posted: 27 October 2007 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2007-06-14

Thanks Languagehat.  Dim memories of learning Spanish, and attempting to read Rayuela, in about 1968. 
We are way off topic, but I think Cort├ízar, a true master, wasn’t using the supposed Peruvian sense, or
cuchufleta, but something more in the neighborhood of cuchufletear (also not listed in the DRAE).  I take
J.C.’s usage to be something towards joker or prankster.  That’s certainly consistent with cuchufleta.

2 of 2

‹‹ codpiece      Pair of stairs ››