words that waltz
Posted: 03 September 2007 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-08-13

One of my lifetime goals is to write a limerick in which each line contains a word that naturally has a triple rhythm--2 unstressed syllables in a row between stressed ones.  For example: “juxtaposition,” “anacoluthia.” I’m not sure if we’d call it anapestic or dactylic, so let’s just say triple-rhythm, or maybe waltz rhythm.  But I need help!  I just can’t think of enough 1-2-3, 1-2-3 words!  Any come to mind?

Posted: 03 September 2007 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2007-03-21

never mind

Posted: 03 September 2007 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1885
Joined  2007-02-19

Perhaps you’re just not thinking hard enough, friend. The exercise calls for a particular mindset. Once you set your mind to it, the words’ll start coming by the bushel. You’ll have enough of them to write an epic, let alone a limerick. That’s assuming that you know enough words. Just to get you started, here are a few which, if not exactly in everyday use, are not particularly out-of-the-way either.

articulation
defenestration
interrelation
extrapolation
machicolation

cannibalistic
antiphlogistic
anaphylactic
anthropomorphic
anisotropic

To play that kind of game you need to have a fairly extensive vocabulary. If you have one, fine. If you need to go looking in dictionaries and word lists, your verse will probably end up looking contrived and self-conscious --- not worth the effort. --- And if you really meant every line, i think your big challenge is going to be with the third and fourth lines.

Good luck!

Posted: 04 September 2007 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2007-06-20

Forgive me if I misinterprete the OP, but I believe it’s asking for six-syllable words that go TUM-tee-tee TUM-tee-tee, and some of Lionello’s (such as cannibalistic) are only five syllables, albeit with two unstressed syllables together ...

Anyway, I think BobFrapples is on a

phantasmagorical
Inconsequential
antediluvian
sesquipedalian
peregrination

but it’s an interesting challenge to try to think of a list of such words without a dictionary open ...

Posted: 05 September 2007 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3335
Joined  2007-01-29

Forgive me if I misinterprete the OP, but I believe it’s asking for six-syllable words

Nope.  From the OP:

For example: “juxtaposition,”

Posted: 05 September 2007 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2742
Joined  2007-01-31

"Juxtaposition” could be forced into a 6-syllable pronunciation (JUKS-ta-poe-ZI-shee-un) for the sake of a poem’s meter, but it does make the original question confusing.  I’m still not sure what Bob is after.

Posted: 05 September 2007 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-20

“Juxtaposition” could be forced into a 6-syllable pronunciation (JUKS-ta-poe-ZI-shee-un)

While the OED agrees with you that “juxtaposition” is pronounced with five syllables, in my dialect (North West London) and, I suspect, in Bob’s, “-tion” is pronounced “sh’un”, just enough to qualify as two syllables and give “juxtaposition” six ...

Posted: 05 September 2007 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1885
Joined  2007-02-19

What an interesting observation, Zythophile. Do you and other NW- Londoners use this pronunciation for all words ending in “-tion”? Words like “nation”, “action”, section”, which i’ve never thought of as having anything but two syllables? I’ve always thought (if I thought at all, which I apparently didn’t) of the letters “io” in such words as a diphthong. and pronounced them more or less as “-shun”. What do you do with “-io” after other consonants—region, legion, lesion, vision? I’m going to do a little research on one or two NW-London natives whom I know in Israel.

Posted: 05 September 2007 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-20

I’d like to amend myself slightly and say it’s “-ition” where the “-tion” becomes two syllables, because the “sh” has drifted closer to “s” under the influence of the “i” and it turns into something more like “see-on” rather than “shun”, and I find the same effect in “lesion” and “vision” but not in “action”, “nation”, “region” and so on, with consonants other than s ... this may be my idiolect rather than dialect, but I’m currently not surrounded by other North West Londoners, so I can’t check ...

edited for spelling

Posted: 05 September 2007 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-03-02

Double dactyls are my favorite form of silly verse. If you google the term, you’ll find many lists of TUM-te-tum words for your collection.

Here’s a classic:

Higgledy-piggledy
Ludwig Von Beethoven,
Bored by requests for
Some music to hum,
Finally answered with
Oversimplicity,
“Here’s my Fifth Symphony:
Dum-de-de-dum.”

There are rules to be observed: the second line must be a proper name, e.g. But I digress.

Posted: 05 September 2007 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-08-13

With thanks especially to Zythophile,
Here’s a draft:

The sesquipedalian oracle,
In mulligatawny rhetorical,
Made juxtapositions
That academicians
Thought thoroughly phantasmagorical.

I’ve always felt that a limerick, to be good, must be perfect, and this one is certainly not.  But it’s a good stab at it.  My next one will be better.

Posted: 06 September 2007 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3335
Joined  2007-01-29

I’ve always felt that a limerick, to be good, must be perfect

Huh.  I’ve always felt that a limerick, to be good, must be dirty.

Posted: 06 September 2007 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-02-14

The nymphomanical contortionist
When told where to put her fist
Assumed juxtapositions
That made the patricians
View her as thoroughly arriviste

Posted: 09 September 2007 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  276
Joined  2007-02-17

Higgledy-piggledies are sadly neglected nowadays, so I hope I’ll be forgive for giving prominence to two more:

Higgledy-piggledy
Oedipus king of Thebes
Murdered his father and
Used mum for sex.

This flagrant impeachment of
Reputability
Made both Jocasta
And Oedipus Rex.

---------------------------------------

Misericordia!
Pontifex Maximus
Doing the snazzy ol’
Vatican rag,

Said, ‘Mother’s feeling her
Infallibility
In this delicious
Pontifical drag.’

[ Edited: 22 September 2011 10:34 AM by kurwamac ]

Posted: 09 September 2007 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2007-01-29

rubbish deleted and this inserted - something my grandmother told me (strue) - strue that she told me, that is:

Higgledy piggledy, needles and pins,
When you gets married your troubles begins.

[ Edited: 12 September 2007 09:31 AM by ElizaD ]

‹‹ Pair of stairs      Valor ››