Vet,to
Posted: 23 February 2014 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2013-10-14

I’ve noticed the use of this, perhaps vogue, expression, to vet as in: vetting the manuscript or It might be vetted by the IRS etc. The reason I refer to vogue expression is because I’ve noticed the usage more in television news and periodicals than in books.  I was familiar with the meaning but not the etymology; sometimes we don’t pay attention to the etymology because we know the meaning.

I was surprised to find out that it is nothing more than a verb formed from the noun “veterinarian”, and originally meant to examine or treat as a veterinarian does. More recently(approximately 100 years) it has come to be used to mean any careful inspection of a document or manuscript.

Posted: 23 February 2014 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07

My first exposure to the verb form was in the UK. It was quite common to hear management speak of vetting applicants. This was in the early 80’s and at that time, I had never heard the verb in the US.

Posted: 23 February 2014 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3107
Joined  2007-02-26

Thanks, logophile. I was unaware of the origin.

I wouldn’t have considered it a vogue expression because it has been a common form for a long time.

Posted: 24 February 2014 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3506
Joined  2007-01-29

Over a century, in fact.  OED:

3. To examine carefully and critically for deficiencies or errors; spec. to investigate the suitability of (a person) for a post that requires loyalty and trustworthiness.
1904 R. Kipling Traffics & Discov. 270 These are our crowd… They’ve been vetted, an’ we’re putting ‘em through their paces.

Posted: 11 May 2014 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  815
Joined  2007-06-20

A veterinarian friend of mine like to ask people: “Would you rather be vetted or doctored?”

‹‹ BL: Toronto      BL: tidy ››