What do we call fake words to entrap copyright violators? 
Posted: 22 April 2014 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2007-02-23

This must have been discussed here before. What do we call fake words entrap copyright violators?

Back about 1992, leading up to the anniversary, there was a suggestion in some periodical that America might have been named by some mapmaker using this gimmick to entrap copiers. A recent thread elsewhere on Wordorigins made me wonder about the term for words used for entrapment.

Posted: 22 April 2014 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  650
Joined  2011-04-10

Mountweazel.

Posted: 22 April 2014 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2344
Joined  2007-01-30

Good word and well remembered, sobiest! I either hadn’t known or I’d forgotten the term.

From Wikipedia

The neologism Mountweazel was coined by the The New Yorker based on a fictitious biographical entry in the 1975 New Columbia Encyclopedia.

The 1975 New Columbia Encyclopedia contains a fictitious entry on Lillian Virginia Mountweazel (1942-1973).[2] Her biography claims she was a fountain designer and photographer, best known for Flags Up!, a collection of photographs of rural American mailboxes. Supposedly she was born in Bangs, Ohio, and died in an explosion while on assignment for Combustibles magazine. Mountweazel was the subject of an exhibit in Dublin, Ireland, in March 2009 examining her fictitious life and works.

I like the sly humour in the above. Born in Bangs, died in an explosion while on assignment for Combustible magazine!

[ Edited: 22 April 2014 08:54 AM by aldiboronti ]