Paper vs Pixels
Posted: 01 May 2014 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07

Why the Smart Reading Device of the Future May Be … Paper

Some interesting points…

In a bit of almost Diegogacity, just this morning one of my fellow workers was lamenting the decline of paper catalogs. However in our case, it is more about how their organization lends itself better to certain kinds of part number research as opposed to remembering or “deep reading.”

Posted: 01 May 2014 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4750
Joined  2007-01-03

A terribly written article. The anecdotal, first-person opening has no basis in verified fact. And while the article does present real research, it usually presents the popular misconception first, confusing the issue for someone who isn’t being attentive (i.e., the entire readership of Wired).

I’m being grumpy. Many of the points raised are good ones.

Posted: 01 May 2014 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-07

someone who isn’t being attentive (i.e., the entire readership of Wired).

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen you insult one of your members before. Thanks for making me feel special.

Posted: 02 May 2014 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2007-01-29

The anecdotal, first-person opening has no basis in verified fact. And while the article does present real research, it usually presents the popular misconception first, confusing the issue for someone who isn’t being attentive (i.e., the entire readership of Wired).

Ahem ...

Posted: 02 May 2014 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4750
Joined  2007-01-03

I read Wired too. Or at least I used to. It’s dropped lower on my reading priorities since I left Silicon Valley.

My jab was aimed more at the writer than the readers. If, as is claimed, on-line reading is more superficial, those that write for such outlets must take special care in being clear and not mixing fact and fiction, or their readership will draw the wrong conclusions.

Posted: 02 May 2014 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-07

You’re saying the entire readership is an example of someone who isn’t being attentive, or has my inattention lead me to misunderstand what “i.e.” means?

[ Edited: 02 May 2014 06:06 AM by happydog ]

Posted: 03 May 2014 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3506
Joined  2007-01-29

For heaven’s sake, he obviously had no intention of insulting you or anyone here, he was just making a casual joke.  Don’t take it so personally.