Switzerland Makes Case To Kill Cursive Writing For Good
Posted: 01 May 2014 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3107
Joined  2007-02-26

http://www.worldcrunch.com/default/switzerland-makes-case-to-kill-cursive-writing-for-good/education-handwriting-computer-schn-erlischrift/c0s15536/#.U2Ot1prym4M

Switzerland Makes Case To Kill Cursive Writing For Good
A side-effect of the digital revolution may be the death of cursive writing. Though some may argue that pure utilitarianism is a trap, students must be prepared for a different future.

Since 1947 the kind of handwriting taught in Swiss schools has been known in Swiss-German dialect as Schnüerlischrift, which means “string writing” because — unlike block letters — all the letters in a word are attached to each other as if they were on a string.

But now Schnüerlischrift, or cursive writing, may be going the way of the dinosaur: In a spate of modernizing activism, the majority of Swiss cantons and the country’s teachers’ association all favor eliminating cursive handwriting completely from school courses.

Posted: 02 May 2014 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2334
Joined  2007-01-30

I seem to recall we talked before about the predicted demise of cursive writing, although it wasn’t in connection with this Swiss report.  I didn’t buy it then and I don’t buy it now.

Posted: 03 May 2014 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3506
Joined  2007-01-29

But it makes a good journalistic story.  Catchiness trumps truth every time.

Posted: 04 May 2014 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2021
Joined  2007-02-19

Quite so. It’s only the journalist who predicts the demise of cursive writing, not the educators. Curricula change. Are school children still taught how to extract a square root arithmetically, I wonder? ( I seem to recall a passage in The Space Merchants*, in which the President of the United States proudly claims to be on the way to learning this skill)

* for non-SF buffs: a brilliant, dystopian satire of the near future

(edited for typo)

Posted: 04 May 2014 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1276
Joined  2007-03-21
aldiboronti - 02 May 2014 10:38 AM

I seem to recall we talked before about the predicted demise of cursive writing, although it wasn’t in connection with this Swiss report.  I didn’t buy it then and I don’t buy it now.

I think I may have said the last time ‘round that my grandson, now 12, goes to a Montessori school in which ONLY cursive is taught. In the place of printing, he is a master keyboardist.

‹‹ Paper vs Pixels      storey vs story ››