English quiz with one controversial answer
Posted: 27 July 2014 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  815
Joined  2007-06-20

I’m sure all of you will get at least 15 out of 16 in this Playbuzz English test here, but I’d be interested in your answer to the one question that has caused some controversy over the correctness or otherwise of the answer given: the controversy is carried on here (no clicking on that link until you’ve done the quiz, thanks).

Posted: 27 July 2014 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3108
Joined  2007-02-26

Close-minded and closed-minded are both quite common: there would be no point is claiming either is incorrect. Quiz fail.

Posted: 28 July 2014 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2012-01-10

I agree: quiz fail.

Both “closed-minded” and “close-minded” appear in most of the on-line dictionaries I visited. (If anything, “closed-minded” seems to tend to get top billing.). ISTM that both usages are standard, so neither is wrong.

Per etymonline (not always a reliable source, admittedly, but the only one I could find with info about this) “close-minded” is attested to as early as 1818, while “closed-minded” is attested to in the 1880s.  So, “close-minded” is indeed older, but “closed-minded” isn’t exactly a novel usage.

Posted: 28 July 2014 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4751
Joined  2007-01-03

I missed several of those. I think in my case, if I had been using the word, I would have typed it correctly without thinking, but forced to think about it, I came out with the wrong answer. (Closed/close minded was one of those; I answered close minded in the quiz, but I think I generally write closed minded.)

‹‹ Glom      BL: zero gravity, microgravity ››