RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6320
Joined  2007-01-03

You can’t call me a mook!

Posted: 16 August 2014 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2654
Joined  2007-02-19

I can’t give any cites, but since childhood the word “moke” has meant, for me, a broken-down, Rocinante sort of horse --- more often than not, coupled with “old”.

Posted: 16 August 2014 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

That’s an outgrowth of the donkey sense, which I didn’t elaborate on; the OED marks it as chiefly Australia and New Zealand.

Posted: 16 August 2014 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2014-08-07

In lighter vein, the word ‘moke’ has fond associations for some of us with a quirky little vehicle of yesteryear.

The Mini Moke was a vehicle based on the Mini designed for the British Motor Corporation (BMC) by Sir Alec Issigonis.

The name comes from “Mini"—the car with which the Moke shares many parts—and “Moke", which is an archaic dialect term for donkey. The Moke has been marketed under various names including Austin Mini Moke, Morris Mini Moke and Leyland Moke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Moke

The Moke attracted attention as a ‘cult’ vehicle as a result of the unprecedented success of the Mini and through media exposure in the popular television series The Prisoner, as well as in the Traffic song “Berkshire Poppies. Despite this, only about a tenth of the 14,500 British produced Mokes were sold in the United Kingdom. Mokes continued to be made in Britain until 1968.

Dave, I’ve just noted your, “the donkey sense, which I didn’t elaborate on....” , so I’m out of order (twice). Apologies!

[ Edited: 16 August 2014 09:59 PM by Skibberoo(2) ]

Posted: 16 August 2014 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2014-08-07

And, many will remember the lyrics of the ‘Johnson Rag’ :

If your feelin’ in the groove
It sends you out of the world
Funny how it makes you move
I don’t wanna coax
But don’t be a “Mokes”
Zig Zig then add a Zig Zig Zag
Zoop Zoop just let your shoulders wag
Zoom Zoom and now it’s right in the bag

The Story Behind The Song (http://www.jacklawrencesongwriter.com/songs/johnson_rag.html )

“This was originally a 16 bar instrumental written and copyrighted in 1917 when I was 5 years old, by Hall and Kleinkauf. It had been long forgotten until Glenn Miller found it and recorded a great swinging version. The publisher called me in and asked if I would take a shot at turning it into a proper song with lyrics. I added a verse and a middle part which the original had never had. When I wrote this in 1940 there were a lot of silly lyric ditties that were popular, like Mairzy Doats, etc. So I wrote my lyric as a series of funny sounds: Hep hep, juke juke, zoom zoom, etc. The silly song caught on, had many swing recordings and a fun version by Pearly Bailey.”

Posted: 18 August 2014 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3023
Joined  2007-01-30

Has Skibs cloned himself? Inquiring minds need to know.

Posted: 18 August 2014 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3465
Joined  2007-01-31

And if so, will there eventually be 23 Skibberoos?

Posted: 18 August 2014 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

The cloning is a result of a combination of lost password and changed email address. The site security does not allow even me to change a user password if the email account used to register is no longer active. The only solution in such a case is to create a new account. (There’s probably a way for me to go into the database code itself and make the change manually, but that risks screwing all sorts of other things up.)

Lesson: keep the email address in your profile up to date. (It can still be hidden from public view.)

Posted: 18 August 2014 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2014-08-07

’And if so, will there eventually be 23 Skibberoos? ‘

There could be if my franchising ambitions come to fruition!  Watch out for the IPO.  WO Board members in good standing would qualify for preference shares.

Posted: 19 August 2014 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4512
Joined  2007-01-29

If you have to make another change of this sort, may I recommend Skibberee(3) to keep the rhyme?

Posted: 20 August 2014 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2014-08-07

Skibberoo > Skibberoo² > [Skibberoo³] ?

Perhaps this would have been a more elegant approach?  I’m no square roo, but this moniker would have a certain je ne sais quoi and possibly a little more authority, coupled with a smidgeon of panache!

Seriez-vous d’accord, lh?

Posted: 20 August 2014 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4512
Joined  2007-01-29

Mais oui!

‹‹ Bus      "Copoclephilist" ››