1 of 6
Occasional ‘support’ with baseball rules and regs
Posted: 05 August 2015 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2007-02-15

I am looking for anyone who would be willing to act as a kind of occasional first line support for questions about baseball.

In return, I offer the same for soccer or cricket esp in Europe.

I’m talking maybe a query every week or month or so, nothing huge - unless the moment decides otherwise!

I asked Dave for permission to make this post. I mentioned doing the support through PM’s but Dave said he wouldn’t have anything against participants doing it more overtly on the forums.

Motivation

My background in sport is football (soccer), NFL then cricket. I’ve played and loved all three to various levels but I never got round to baseball. I also got to cricket later in life than I would have liked and find it now fascinating to see the differences and similarities between cricket and baseball.

Sometimes I sneakily watch a game of baseball on the interweb late at night and then something happens during the game which is both outwith my current knowledge and certainly beyond the amount of effort it would take at that time of night to look it up myself on the net on dry baseball manual sites!

Posted: 05 August 2015 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1509
Joined  2007-02-14

I can’t speak for Richard Herschberger’s willingness to cooperate but he is quite knowledgeable in the subject, as I believe language hat is.  I can also help to some extent.

Posted: 06 August 2015 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4513
Joined  2007-01-29

Yeah, I’m not as knowledgeable as I was back when I followed the game actively (these days I pretty much only watch the playoffs and World Series), but I’ll be glad to answer questions to the best of my ability.

Posted: 06 August 2015 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6321
Joined  2007-01-03

Ditto for me. My situation and knowledge is akin to languagehat’s.

Posted: 06 August 2015 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-15

Many thanks guys…

And believe me, even a rudimentary knowledge of baseball will probably cover most of my questions. Annoyingly I have usually forgotten the incident after a day or two but I do remember the one that made me think that this kind of thread might be an idea, so here’s my starter:

Is a ‘swing and a miss’ *always* a strike? (No matter whether not delivered properly over the plate.)

Posted: 06 August 2015 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-14

It is.

Posted: 07 August 2015 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-15
Faldage - 06 August 2015 08:51 AM

It is.

Thanks F.

I suspected as much from the commentary but never sure. However, what defines a ‘swing’ never mind a ‘miss’? Bat above neck level at address or all down to the downswing passing a certain point?

(I always want to labour the point with the commentators!)

Posted: 07 August 2015 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

There is no official definition of what constitutes a checked swing; it’s up to the judgment of the umpire. Often the home-plate umpire will appeal to the first or third base umpire to determine how far the swing came around, as they are in a better position to see it.

The official MLB rules for baseball are here.

Posted: 07 August 2015 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-15
Dave Wilton - 07 August 2015 04:07 AM

There is no official definition of what constitutes a checked swing; it’s up to the judgment of the umpire. Often the home-plate umpire will appeal to the first or third base umpire to determine how far the swing came around, as they are in a better position to see it.

The official MLB rules for baseball are here.

Thanks Dave but as I said it’s more of a spur of the moment thing. I don’t want to faff around for hours on a site when I can get human feedback if lucky on what is a ‘belly’ question. The general points I get, the detail I don’t.

Next up for me will be the concept of ‘inning(s)’. But I have exhausted your patience for now I feel… with thanks genuine.

Posted: 08 August 2015 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-14

The checked swing has variously been defined as the bat not traveling past the front edge of the plate or as the batter’s wrists not “breaking”.

Posted: 10 August 2015 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-15
Faldage - 08 August 2015 09:36 AM

The checked swing has variously been defined as the bat not traveling past the front edge of the plate or as the batter’s wrists not “breaking”.

Thanks again F. So it has been thought about, obviously!

Quite a crucial event I would say, swinging and missing. In cricket, it is often mentioned in modern commentaries but I have the feeling this is an expression that cricket has taken on from baseball than the other way round.

In cricket, the action does not entail any penalty other than a red face on the batsman.

Posted: 11 August 2015 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-14

One of the other differences, out LBW in cricket is batter awarded first base in baseball.

Posted: 16 August 2015 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-15
Faldage - 11 August 2015 03:00 AM

One of the other differences, out LBW in cricket is batter awarded first base in baseball.

Not sure I understand that: out LBW in cricket is 1 out. Or 2 out. Whatever, out. Being awarded first base has something to do with not being got out in the balls available, n’est-ce pas?

To be awarded first base you have to get too many ‘balls’ thrown at you (and not enough strikes!), so the pitcher exceeds his allowance, not the batter.

Out is out in cricket as well as baseball, it’s crucial. And I don’t think there is an equivalent of LBW in baseball but you live and learn eh?

Tonight (this afternoon for you real aficionados) it was LA Angels v KC Royals. Now just to check that I get the basics, I’m looking at the stat graphs on the tv and it says X out. This means X out of 9 out for this innings, yeah?

Then there’s the graph of the bases. If it shows like a clover leaf of diamonds (left hand side white diamond, rhs dark diamond, middle top white diamond. then that means there is one guy on the first base?

Hope I didn’t make any boo-boos…

[ Edited: 16 August 2015 04:59 PM by BlackGrey ]

Posted: 16 August 2015 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-15

Aii, still here: pls explain, it was KC 2-0 v LA, then LA got a point cos the KC pitcher chucked the ball way down on the side of the plate. It wasn’t like there had already been 2 or more illegal balls I think… sorry for being thick.

Posted: 17 August 2015 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

I’m looking at the stat graphs on the tv and it says X out. This means X out of 9 out for this innings, yeah?

It’s three outs per inning in baseball. Once the third man is out, that half of the inning is over and the other team comes to bat. Each side has 27 outs in a game (3 x 9 innings).

Then there’s the graph of the bases. If it shows like a clover leaf of diamonds (left hand side white diamond, rhs dark diamond, middle top white diamond. then that means there is one guy on the first base?

Yes.

Posted: 17 August 2015 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2007-03-21
BlackGrey - 16 August 2015 05:45 PM

Aii, still here: pls explain, it was KC 2-0 v LA, then LA got a point cos the KC pitcher chucked the ball way down on the side of the plate. It wasn’t like there had already been 2 or more illegal balls I think… sorry for being thick.

Not sure what your asking. If the ball was thrown way down the side of the plate, it could be a “wild pitch” but that in itself would not result in a “point.” Points in BB are “runs” and something like the following (unlikely) scenario would have to take place. Man on first and third; wild pitch; man on first tries to take advantage of the wild pitch, catcher throws to second base in order “get” the runner out"\, ball is somehow fumbled at second, man on third runs home and is “safe.” Crossing home base safely is a “run” or, I suppose, a “point” but we don’t use that word.

This is unlikely because the catcher would have foreseen such a move and held his powder.

If by “point” you mean that the batter goes to first base, it might mean that the batter was hit by the wild pitched ball which always results in the batter taking first base.

1 of 6