6 of 6
Occasional ‘support’ with baseball rules and regs
Posted: 29 May 2017 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6265
Joined  2007-01-03

There’s a story related in Ken Burns’s Baseball about the 1962 Mets, inarguably the worst team of the 20th century. First baseman “Marvelous” Marv Throneberry somehow managed to hit a triple but failed to touch first base and was thrown out at first. When manager Casey Stengel rushed onto the field to argue the call, the umpire told him, “Don’t bother, Casey. He didn’t touch second either.”

Posted: 30 May 2017 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1487
Joined  2007-02-14
languagehat - 29 May 2017 12:11 PM

(I’ve always thought that Merkle got a bum rap; he was just a kid, the rule was new and hadn’t been much enforced, and there was complete pandemonium on the field.  But people gotta have a hero and/or a goat, and he was the goat.)

It’s true.  Merkle didn’t do anything that everybody else wasn’t doing.  Johnnie Evers, the Cubs second baseman, would have been a perfect one for that cell phone commercial.  When Johnnie Evers isn’t playing baseball he’’s reading the rule book in his hotel room. He had tried the same argument at the end of another game and confronted the umpire about it after the game, pointing out the rule to him The umpire studied it and agreed, saying that the net time it happened he would rule in Evers’s favor.

Posted: 02 June 2017 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2007-04-19

I know it’s been a year and a half and then some, but I can’t help pointing out the very rare - though perhaps not quite as rare as a head-assisted home run - self-mantle (now with added quote confusion!):

Dave Wilton - 22 September 2015 06:02 AM

(There’s a famous story about the 1962 Mets when first baseman Marv Throneberry, infamous for being the worst player on that worst-in-history team, amazingly hit a triple, but failed to touch second base and was called out. When Mets manager Casey Stengel came out to argue the call, the umpire famously quipped, “Don’t bother arguing, Casey. He missed first base too.")

Dave Wilton - 29 May 2017 05:47 PM

There’s a story related in Ken Burns’s Baseball about the 1962 Mets, inarguably the worst team of the 20th century. First baseman “Marvelous” Marv Throneberry somehow managed to hit a triple but failed to touch first base and was thrown out at first. When manager Casey Stengel rushed onto the field to argue the call, the umpire told him, “Don’t bother, Casey. He didn’t touch second either.”

Posted: 03 June 2017 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4457
Joined  2007-01-29

Dave, Dave, Dave!

Error Message:  Unable to receive your submission at this time

Posted: 03 June 2017 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6265
Joined  2007-01-03

I think we have to impose a twelve-month limit on mantling. Anything longer than that isn’t a mantle and can be forgiven.

Posted: 05 June 2017 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2007-04-19

Sounds perfectly reasonable. I only noticed it because I read the thread from the beginning in one sitting to see if I had anything helpful to add.

6 of 6