1 of 2
Another thin(k,g) coming
Posted: 09 August 2015 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1512
Joined  2007-02-14

Google ngrams shows another thing coming about 60 years before another think coming in both American and British English but I would rather see something a little more reliable.  Any one have anything?

Posted: 09 August 2015 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2654
Joined  2007-02-19

I am familiar with “another think coming”, usually preceded by “you have”, meaning “you are very much mistaken”, and said truculently, even threateningly. But what’s special about “another thing coming”?  The image conjured up for me by this rather banal phrase, is the Thurber cartoon depicting a festive gentleman, obviously in the throes of delirium tremens, his head surrounded by vague, batlike shapes, ducking and shouting “Look out! here they come again!”

Posted: 10 August 2015 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6327
Joined  2007-01-03

I took a quick look at the actual hits on Google books and the early ones for “another thing coming” appear to all be simple collocations of those words, not a use of the catchphrase. For instance there is this one from 1844: “it has borrowed that which, like many another thing coming from that quarter of the country, is of no great value.”

If you search on phrases like “you have another think coming” or “he has another think coming,” you get very different results.

The OED has 1898 for “another think coming” and 1906 for “thing.”

Posted: 10 August 2015 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1173
Joined  2007-03-01

Over here in Rightpondia I have known and used have another think coming all my life. I’m not aware of ever having heard have another thing coming, and if I read it in print I’d have assumed it was a typo.

Posted: 10 August 2015 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2007-02-13

Hasn’t anyone in Rightpondia heard the 1982 song You’ve Got Another Thing Coming by British heavy metal band Judas Priest?  I just looked it up and as far as I can tell I haven’t mis-heard the lyric all these years.

Posted: 10 August 2015 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1404
Joined  2007-04-28

My experience in Manchester was the complete opposite of SL’s and I remember being surprised when I first read or heard it as think. Think makes more sense and thing might have been a mishearing. Another think would mean reconsidering but what would another thing be? Possible violence? They both sound a bit menacing, as lionello said, with that other thing perhaps being Rob Halford coming at you from stage-right on a motorcycle. Judas Priest are from Birmingham. It could be a regional think, I mean thing.

Posted: 10 August 2015 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1512
Joined  2007-02-14

Inspired by lionello’s comment I modified my ngram search to be “you have another thin(k/g) coming” and got more reasonable results supporting the notion that “another think coming” was the original.  Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Posted: 10 August 2015 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1173
Joined  2007-03-01

Sorry, jtab, I’ve never done heavy metal, couldn’t name you a single heavy metal song to save my life! (Pray do not take my blank ignorance in this respect as in any way typical of Rightpondia in general.) If I did ever see the song title mentioned, I probably did take it for a typo.

It could well be a regional thing/k. I’m a Londoner myself, now resident in Kent, and one of the consistent peculiarities of cockney and other southeastern English speech is that terminal -ing is regularly pronounced -ink. (As in the old music-hall song, ‘Wot’s the use of hanyfink? Why, nuffink!’). So if Londoners had been trying to tell me that I had another thing coming, it probably would have come out as ‘think’ anyway.

Is the reverse true of Brummie and Mancunian? - does terminal -ink tend to come out as -ing?

Posted: 11 August 2015 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6327
Joined  2007-01-03

I’m with Venomousbede. When I first heard think I thought it was an error. It took someone claiming that it was the original form to get me puzzle out what it meant—you normally don’t see think to mean idea or manner of thought. I now far prefer it to thing; it’s more descriptive and clever.

Posted: 11 August 2015 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4516
Joined  2007-01-29

There was a long and contentious AskMetaFilter thread about this; it amazed me that there were people who not only used “thing” (hey, we all have our quirks) but stubbornly insisted it was the original form in spite of both logic and evidence.

Posted: 11 August 2015 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2007-01-30

I seem to recall we’ve visited the topic ourselves too. I was taken aback to learn that many people used thing rather than think, with some even claiming in the former’s defence that think wasn’t even a noun. They should go somewhere and have a quiet think about such matters before making such bold assertions.

Clearly mondegreenery has been stealthily at work over the years.

Posted: 12 August 2015 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3466
Joined  2007-01-31

Aldi recalls correctly. Our own long and contentious discussion is here.

[ Edited: 13 August 2015 03:18 AM by Dave Wilton ]

Posted: 12 August 2015 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-19

All I get is “server not found”, doc. Not another thing.

[I fixed the link. An extra “http://” was inserted--dw]

[ Edited: 13 August 2015 03:19 AM by Dave Wilton ]

Posted: 13 August 2015 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4516
Joined  2007-01-29

In that earlier link, there is this exchange:

aldiboronti
Posted: 23 April 2007 01:17 PM

We thrashed this out a while back, but I can’t for the life of me find it.

Dr. Techie
Posted: 23 April 2007 01:28 PM

It was here.

But the “here” link redirects to Yuku.  Any way of fixing that, Dave?  I’d like to revisit my original despair.

Posted: 13 August 2015 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2007-01-30

Visiting Yuku and trying to run a search is a nightmare now. It looks like it has been optimized for tablets and when I try to search I get an ad for shrimp fishing shoved down my throat. The archive is still there, it threw up a sample of posts when I searched for WO, but good luck finding anything!

Posted: 13 August 2015 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-19

Signora Bianca Castafiore, to an enraptured Anglo audience at the end of a concert:

Sank you, sank you for ze frenzied applause!  I sink you deserve somesing extra tonight — you have anozzer sing coming to you!
So now I sink one more sonk, one I neffer sunk before......

(with apologies to Hergé – I doubt if the lady ever actually sounded anything like that)

Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread and now can’t remove it)

1 of 2

‹‹ BL: banjax      Shake-down ››