Bryce-Job
Posted: 20 September 2015 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2007-02-17

In Christopher Brookmyre’s Boiling a Frog, a politician gets into a spot of bother when a vibrator gets lodged in his rectum. As he’s desperate to avoid going to a hospital, a discreet doctor is summoned. Unfortunately, she breaks her ankle, and they end up having to call for an ambulance anyway.

This takes a while, as the ambulance dispatcher obviously doesn’t consider ‘a broken leg and a Bryce-Job’ that important. Presumably the latter refers to the politician’s embarrassing problem, but I’ve never heard the phrase, and more puzzlingly Google doesn’t seem to know it either. I don’t know whether the peculiar hyphenation and capitalisation are significant. Does anyone know of any parallels? Brookmyre is a mine of Scottish slang, but this one seems to be otherwise unknown.

Posted: 20 September 2015 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4112
Joined  2007-02-26
kurwamac - 20 September 2015 11:37 AM

In Christopher Brookmyre’s Boiling a Frog, a politician gets into a spot of bother when a vibrator gets lodged in his rectum. As he’s desperate to avoid going to a hospital, a discreet doctor is summoned. Unfortunately, she breaks her ankle, and they end up having to call for an ambulance anyway.

This takes a while, as the ambulance dispatcher obviously doesn’t consider ‘a broken leg and a Bryce-Job’ that important. Presumably the latter refers to the politician’s embarrassing problem, but I’ve never heard the phrase, and more puzzlingly Google doesn’t seem to know it either. I don’t know whether the peculiar hyphenation and capitalisation are significant. Does anyone know of any parallels? Brookmyre is a mine of Scottish slang, but this one seems to be otherwise unknown.

Possibly, if you’ll pardon the pun, and inside joke.

Posted: 21 September 2015 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2014-08-07

It might be a Canadian slang reference to Canadian Dr Bryce Wylde and one of his specialities.
See http://www.cityline.ca/guest-experts/bryce-wylde-bsc-dhmhs-homeopath/

and http://www.ctvnews.ca/bryce-wylde-s-natural-first-aid-kit-1.532399
where the following is to be found:

“Calendula is applied to the skin to reduce pain and swelling (inflammation) and to treat poorly healing wounds and leg ulcers. It is also applied to the skin (used topically) for nosebleeds, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, inflammation of the rectum (proctitis), and inflammation of the lining of the eyelid (conjunctivitis).”

Of course, this could just be a bum steer!  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bum_steer. )

Posted: 21 September 2015 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6646
Joined  2007-01-03

Evidently it’s a (pretty obscure) reference to 80s Scottish television presenter Bryce Curdy, who was rumored to have been admitted to a Glasgow hospital with a foreign object up his butt; an urban legend akin to Richard Gere and the hamster.

I don’t think Bryce-job has much currency as a term. Brookmyre, who is Scottish, seems to have created it as a nonce expression.

[ Edited: 21 September 2015 02:51 AM by Dave Wilton ]

Posted: 21 September 2015 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2007-02-17

Cheers, that’s impressive. Although now I’m wondering whether you knew that before, or what combination of words you put into a search engine to find it.

Posted: 21 September 2015 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6646
Joined  2007-01-03

I did not know it beforehand.

I don’t recall the exact combination I used to search, but I think it may have been bryce and anal. That got me to the name Bryce Curdy, and that yielded the final result.

Posted: 21 September 2015 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  884
Joined  2013-10-14

...an urban legend akin to Richard Gere and the hamster.

Actually the legend referred to Gere and a gerbil. A slight difference, gerbils rarely bite and are a little more active and hyper; thus, I’m assuming, the preferred animal for this type of sexual gratification.

Posted: 21 September 2015 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4112
Joined  2007-02-26

According to snopes.com, gerbiling is not actually a thing. It exists _only_ in these rumours.