RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6303
Joined  2007-01-03

American imperialism at its best

Posted: 23 December 2015 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2654
Joined  2007-02-19

The practice of naming plants after botanists has resulting in a number of plants acquiring names which are to say the least, odd. Consider Eschscholzia (six consonants in a row!), and Fuchsia, which for some reason unbeknown to me, is usually pronounced something like “future”, spoken by someone who has looked to long on the wine when it is red.

May I wish all colleagues on this forum a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. The message “on earth peace, goodwill toward men” transcends all boundaries of creed and race.

Posted: 24 December 2015 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1613
Joined  2007-01-29

I can’t get myself out of the habit of pronouncing it Pointsettia with a T, which I know is wrong.  Thank you, Lionello, for a heartfeld sentiment so well expressed.  I can only add my wishes to everyone, wherever you are and whoever you may be with. Enjoy!

Posted: 24 December 2015 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2007-02-15

Having never been a garden lover, I only knew this word at a long distance from books.

Now Diegogarcity creeps in: for the first time in ages I was watching an internet stream of college football in America between Un of N Illinois and Boise state (I now know how to pronounce Boise!) who beat up on UofNI them real bad…

...but anyway, it was for the Poinsettia Bowl. Is this named for the same botanist? I wikipedia’d him but seemed to be a S Carolina man and couldn’t find any links to Illinois there at all.

If I don’t get a chance anywhere else, have a great Christmas everyone, and thanks for brightening up my year regularly with the revelations and discussions of the nooks and crannies of English.

Posted: 24 December 2015 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

College football bowl game names have nothing to do with the teams playing in them. Different teams get invited to play each year. The Poinsettia Bowl is played in San Diego each year. The name comes from the fact that the game is played close to Christmas. Most bowl games are on New Year’s Day.

Posted: 24 December 2015 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-15
Dave Wilton - 24 December 2015 09:23 AM

College football bowl game names have nothing to do with the teams playing in them. Different teams get invited to play each year. The Poinsettia Bowl is played in San Diego each year. The name comes from the fact that the game is played close to Christmas. Most bowl games are on New Year’s Day.

Ta for the info, appreciated, but I don’t see the connection - Poinsettia/Xmas?

Posted: 24 December 2015 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3015
Joined  2007-01-30
BlackGrey - 24 December 2015 12:46 PM

Dave Wilton - 24 December 2015 09:23 AM

Ta for the info, appreciated, but I don’t see the connection - Poinsettia/Xmas?

Wikipedia provides the answer.

From the 17th century, Franciscan friars in Mexico included the plants in their Christmas celebrations.[12] The star-shaped leaf pattern is said to symbolize the Star of Bethlehem, and the red color represents the blood sacrifice through the crucifixion of Jesus.[13]

Poinsettias are popular Christmas decorations[3] in homes, churches, offices, and elsewhere across North America. They are available in large numbers from grocery, drug, and hardware stores. In the United States, December 12 is National Poinsettia Day

To all on the board a heartfelt “Bah! Humbug!”

I’m kidding. Have a great Christmas all of you!

Posted: 24 December 2015 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  883
Joined  2007-02-07

I can’t get myself out of the habit of pronouncing it Pointsettia with a T, which I know is wrong.

You’re in good company, Eliza. I actually know a guy who grows poinsettias for a living (I have a beautiful example of his work next to my monitor as we speak) and he calls them pointsettias and tells anyone who objects that his mother called them pointsettias and he’s not going to disrespect his mother and he would appreciate it if you would keep your opinions to yourself!

New and wilder varieties come out every year and he has them all, but the deep velvety reds are still my favorites. We always had poinsettias in the house at Christmas time and when I was a young lad my father told me that Santa would be glad to see the poinsettia because it reminded him of Rudolph’s nose, so we always left our cookies and milk for Santa on the side of the fireplace hearth, next to the poinsettia.

May you all have cookies and milk and know the joy of love given and received this holiday season and always!

[ Edited: 24 December 2015 08:20 PM by happydog ]

Posted: 25 December 2015 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

I’m reasonably sure the symbolism is an after the fact rationalization. It’s a red and green plant that flowers at the right time of year. Spaniards in Mexico looked for something that could replace the traditional European floral decorations which were unavailable, and the poinsettia fit the bill.

Posted: 25 December 2015 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4493
Joined  2007-01-29

I agree with Dave, and I wish all of you a happy Christmas and the best of New Years!

Posted: 25 December 2015 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3460
Joined  2007-01-31

I likewise add my wishes for all this company.

Posted: 25 December 2015 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-15

Thanks to Aldi and Dave for their clarifications, I am now botanically armed for the future christmases.

Orrabest to alluvyou!