An interesting new member
Posted: 12 March 2016 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3133
Joined  2007-01-30

Just noticed at the foot of the page that Ben Zimmer has registered. If this is indeed the well-known linguist we have a wonderful addition to the board!

Posted: 12 March 2016 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6718
Joined  2007-01-03

Not so new. He registered some six months ago.

Posted: 14 March 2016 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4139
Joined  2007-02-26

Does wordorigins.org have a “confirmed authentic” status?

Posted: 15 March 2016 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6718
Joined  2007-01-03

I could make one. That’s easy to do.

In this case I know it’s Ben from his email address and the fact that we had an email exchange at the time he signed up. (He wanted to correct something I’d written; I corrected it; so he felt no need to post it.)

Posted: 15 March 2016 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4702
Joined  2007-01-29

Zimmer is a great guy, but he’s not exactly President Obama; well-known linguists are about on the same level as well-known zoologists in terms of public recognition.  I doubt whether anyone would bother impersonating him here.

Posted: 22 March 2016 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4139
Joined  2007-02-26
languagehat - 15 March 2016 06:23 AM

Zimmer is a great guy, but he’s not exactly President Obama; well-known linguists are about on the same level as well-known zoologists in terms of public recognition.  I doubt whether anyone would bother impersonating him here.

says the guy impersonating languagehat.

Posted: 22 March 2016 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4702
Joined  2007-01-29

Who, me?  I resemble that remark!

Posted: 29 March 2016 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2007-02-17
languagehat - 15 March 2016 06:23 AM

I am continually amazed by internet fantasists, and have learnt never to believe someone is telling the truth for no better reason than that I can’t see why anyone would lie about the matter in question. On another forum I encountered someone who claimed to teach at what he described as a mediocre Catholic university. My suspicions were awakened when he talked about the translation of Augustine that he was working on, as he’d made elementary mistakes in Latin, but then there are incompetent academic translators, even published ones (which he hadn’t yet been, according to the story). When he began posting screeds from papers he’d allegedly written, the style jarred, and a bit of googling showed that they were slightly altered versions of several other people’s published material, which he had also posted on another forum (where he claimed to work in IT and do theology as a hobby). Admittedly, he didn’t say that he was any of the (obscure) theology lecturers whose work he had presented as his own, but what he actually was pretending to was equally pointless.

‹‹ Hello?      Deleting Forum Posts ››