RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6323
Joined  2007-01-03

A potentially important find

Posted: 31 March 2016 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4513
Joined  2007-01-29

Certainly interesting, and I guess potentially important, if you put enough stress on “potentially.” But seriously, 70 legible letters?  It may be “one of the longest examples of Etruscan writing known in the modern world,” but that’s an honor comparable to “tallest pygmy,” and with the best will in the world I can’t see how it can be “full of words and concepts” of any kind, encountered before or not.  This appears to be wild overhyping of a nice find.

Posted: 31 March 2016 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3023
Joined  2007-01-30

Any light at all shed on the Etruscan language is valuable and the fact that it isn’t a gravestone makes it likely they’ll find something new there. I find the Etruscans fascinating. One only wishes that books like Etruscarum rerum libri by the 1st century Roman grammarian Velleius Paterculus hadn’t been lost. Finding a copy of that would really be something to cheer about!

Posted: 31 March 2016 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  883
Joined  2007-02-07

This appears to be wild overhyping of a nice find.

Yeah, I think “nice find” covers it.

Here’s some lyrics to a song with about 80 letters with punctuation....

Once I was seven years old, my mama told me,
“Go make yourself some friends or you’ll be lonely.”

It certainly seems hard to resolve ”Scientists believe it will be full of words and concepts they’ve never encountered before.” with two lines of prose or poetry. New words, of course, but new concepts? The Etruscans weren’t from outer space, They fell in love, they went to war, they said “fuck” (or something similar) when they stubbed a toe.

Posted: 31 March 2016 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3466
Joined  2007-01-31

I interpreted that to mean “concepts never before seen expressed in Etruscan”, not “hitherto unknown concepts”.

Posted: 31 March 2016 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4513
Joined  2007-01-29

Any light at all shed on the Etruscan language is valuable and the fact that it isn’t a gravestone makes it likely they’ll find something new there.

Absolutely!  I certainly didn’t mean to sound like I was dismissing the find; I was just amused by the over-the-top press-agentry of the reporting.

Posted: 31 March 2016 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2007-02-13

Scholars have decoded the tablet.  It says, “BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE”.

Posted: 31 March 2016 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2014-08-07

It says, “BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE”.

When taking your tablet.

Posted: 01 April 2016 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1173
Joined  2007-03-01

One only wishes that books like Etruscarum rerum libri by the 1st century Roman grammarian Velleius Paterculus hadn’t been lost. Finding a copy of that would really be something to cheer about!

Absolutely. And there might quite possibly be one still lying in the Villa of the Papyri in Herculaneum, which makes it all the more tragic that there is currently no prospect of completing the excavation and retrieving the rest of the library before another eruption of Vesuvius or some other natural accident destroys it for ever.

Posted: 01 April 2016 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-30
languagehat - 31 March 2016 10:48 AM

Any light at all shed on the Etruscan language is valuable and the fact that it isn’t a gravestone makes it likely they’ll find something new there.

Absolutely!  I certainly didn’t mean to sound like I was dismissing the find; I was just amused by the over-the-top press-agentry of the reporting.

Right, it certainly over-egged the pudding.

Posted: 01 April 2016 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-30
Syntinen Laulu - 01 April 2016 02:52 AM

One only wishes that books like Etruscarum rerum libri by the 1st century Roman grammarian Velleius Paterculus hadn’t been lost. Finding a copy of that would really be something to cheer about!

Absolutely. And there might quite possibly be one still lying in the Villa of the Papyri in Herculaneum, which makes it all the more tragic that there is currently no prospect of completing the excavation and retrieving the rest of the library before another eruption of Vesuvius or some other natural accident destroys it for ever.

That’s terrible. I can’t access the whole article so I don’t know what the obstacle is but if financial surely there is some philanthropist out there with a love for the classics. Were I in such a fortunate position I’d back the project in a heartbeat.

Posted: 01 April 2016 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1173
Joined  2007-03-01

Whoops, sorry - I subscribe to the Times so I can access it, and I simply forgot it wouldn’t be readable by non-subscribers. Here’s an article from the Daily Fail rehashing it, naturally in a more red-top style.