Deleting Forum Posts
Posted: 02 April 2016 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6571
Joined  2007-01-03

Users don’t have permission to delete their forum posts. (We once had a very active member, who in a fit of spite, tried to delete all his comments, making the forum threads incomprehensible. So I took away that permission.)

You can, however, edit the post and replace the content.

So if you make a comment that you regret (as happens from time to time) and want to delete it, simply replace the text with something like “comment deleted.” (You can’t have an entirely blank post.) When I see it, I’ll delete it with my godlike administrator powers. And in a few hours you will be in an Orwellian paradise where history has been changed and no trace left.

Posted: 02 April 2016 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4657
Joined  2007-01-29

Did somebody say something?  I thought I heard something.

Posted: 04 April 2016 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1656
Joined  2007-03-21

(We once had a very active member, who in a fit of spite, tried to delete all his comments, making the forum threads incomprehensible.

was “he who shall not be named” in this ExpressionEngine forum?

Posted: 04 April 2016 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

The past offender was Wordgeek. (I’m not afraid to speak his name.)

The reason for this particular post was that a relatively new member had just posted something that he subsequently wanted deleted. I deleted the post, but thought I should post a reminder of how such things work.) I was not so much concerned with others deleting their posts wholesale, as I was simply explaining why I don’t allow users to delete their own posts.

Posted: 07 April 2016 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1656
Joined  2007-03-21

simply replace the text with something like “comment deleted.” (You can’t have an entirely blank post.)

But there is a minimum number of characters, isn’t there? I don’t think you can replace your text with “cut” for example. Or can you?

WG left the old Yuko forum before it was closed in favor of Expression. Right? I appreciate the caution however.

Posted: 08 April 2016 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

I think the minimum character length is four or five. You can write “post deleted” and it should work.

Posted: 15 April 2016 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1623
Joined  2007-01-29

When I see it, I’ll delete it with my godlike administrator powers. And in a few hours you will be in an Orwellian paradise where history has been changed and no trace left.

Maybe ... just maybe ... some day we’ll all become angelic and saintly posters and not need to call on your awesome powers. Amen.

Posted: 10 May 2016 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-05-31

Amen and amen!