Taxi dancer, taxi-cab, taximeter
Posted: 22 May 2016 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  747
Joined  2013-10-14

In a book I’m reading I came upon the word, taxi dancer.

taxi-dancer n. orig. U.S. a woman (or man) whose services as a dance-partner may be hired; a professional dance-partner.

I never heard of this expression before, although, I intuited the meaning by the context of the sentence.
Is it a common word in America?

In my perusal of the word in the OED I learned that taxi-cab derives from taximeter

An automatic contrivance fitted on a cab or other vehicle to indicate to the passenger at any point the distance traversed and the fare due. Also ellipt. for taximeter cab at Compounds (rare).

Taxi-cab became the more popular usage, but now everyone calls a cab for hire simply, a taxi, or just, a cab; I rarely hear anyone calling it a taxi-cab.

Shortly, because taxi-cabs are rapidly losing business, we will call them uber.  FWIW, the company was founded as uberCab.

Posted: 22 May 2016 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6323
Joined  2007-01-03

Is it a common word in America?

Taxi dancers were common in the 1920s through the early 40s. But they’re a thing of the past. I would think most current uses of the term are in historical contexts.

Posted: 26 May 2016 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1404
Joined  2007-04-28

I first heard it in the film Sweet Charity from 1969 which had an unhappy ending exwcs would never allow these days.

‹‹ herb      Translating Catullus ››