RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4369
Joined  2007-01-29

Very interesting!

Posted: 25 July 2016 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  883
Joined  2007-02-07

The technology is advancing as AIs get better and better. This is simply not consciousness technology.

As they mention, it’s pretty hard to build a technology around something you don’t understand in the first place. We’ve barely taken baby steps into understanding brain function. I believe consciousness technology is a long way off, if ever, but I suspect incredible things will still be possible long before we get there.

Just because humans use common sense to understand something doesn’t necessarily mean a computer will need to do it the same way. It might, be we don’t really know yet. We’re also still at the beginning stages of understanding what we can do with computers. It’s possible that something resembling common sense might emerge from clever sampling of some mega database.

Posted: 25 July 2016 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3897
Joined  2007-02-26

I actually don’t think the Turing test is a great AI test. I think it is neither sufficient nor necessary. We can conceive of something that can fool humans that it is human, but that is not clearly intelligent. On the other hand some system could correctly diagnose illnesses and adaptively improve itself via feedback, that could arguably be AI, but make no effort at all to appear human.

I think the idea suggest in this thread is an interesting idea for bot-detection.

Posted: 25 July 2016 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2916
Joined  2007-01-30

That’s a neat one!

Posted: 25 July 2016 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2007-02-13

...We can conceive of something that can fool humans that it is human, but that is not clearly intelligent…

Such as middle-managers, bureaucrats or certain elected officials… ;-)

Posted: 26 July 2016 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1473
Joined  2007-02-14

I know some grammacasters who would (at least pretend to) misunderstand one of these sentences. Look at the many threads of people saying that they would think that someone was claiming that
god and Mother Teresa were their parents.

Posted: 26 July 2016 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1559
Joined  2007-03-21

I believe consciousness technology is a long way off, if ever, but I suspect incredible things will still be possible long before we get there.

Puts me in mind of Clarke’s third Law: “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” And Gehm’s correlary, “Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.”

[ Edited: 26 July 2016 09:26 AM by Oecolampadius ]

‹‹ HD: Spelling Reform      Horse-shedding ››