1 of 2
WOTY Appeal for Suggestions
Posted: 01 December 2016 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6275
Joined  2007-01-03

I’ve decided to throw in the towel, go with the flow, and come up with my own word of the year. But I’m going to do it a bit differently.

Instead of choosing a single word to represent the entire year, I’m going to come up with twelve, one for each month. One of the problems I’ve noticed with many WOTY choices is that they tend to represent events that happened at the end of the year, sadly neglecting what went on in the earlier months. I’m hoping that the twelve words will provide a better retrospective.

So I’m asking for suggestions. I’ve got a list of my own, which I’ll keep to myself for now, but it can always be improved with the input of others.

Criteria:
1) Must be a word or phrase that was in wide use during or associated with events of the month
2) Neologisms preferred, but by no means required. (Obviously I’m not looking for a word coined in that month, but a word of recent vintage is better.)

I’ll publish the list at the end of December.

[ Edited: 22 December 2016 06:39 AM by Dave Wilton ]

Posted: 01 December 2016 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3944
Joined  2007-02-26

Jan: af
Feb: woke
Mar: surrogates
Apr: alt-right
May: rigged
Jun:cuckservative
Jul:(((())) (it is not a word but then nor is an emoji)
Aug:freakshakes
Sep: Fake news
Oct: Lügenpresse
Nov:son (verb)
Dec: Hamiltonian (with respect to the US President)

Late bonus entry: unpresidented.

[ Edited: 17 December 2016 12:10 PM by OP Tipping ]

Posted: 02 December 2016 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2007-02-13

For June I’ll nominate Brexit.

For July, how about “open carry”.  There was an online petition and widespread reports that Trump supporters were pushing for “open carry” at the RNC in Cleveland, presumably so they could start shooting Ted Cruz supporters at the Quicken Loans Arena if the Tea Partier-cum-Insider “stole” the nomination from Trump.

For November I’d like to nominate “weaponized autism”.  Unlike “post-truth” and “lügenpresse” I have heard this one in the wild, from my 22-year-old college student son. 
Urban Dictionary defines it here, and the entry is from November 29, 2016.  I believe the term was popularized by right-wing and/or pro-Trump internet posters, and while the Urban Dictionary entry is non-political you will note the contributor’s name is listed as “Barry Soetoro” which is a name that would resonate with right-wingers.

Posted: 07 December 2016 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

Just bumping the thread up so people don’t forget to offer suggestions (if they have any).

Posted: 08 December 2016 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-02-15

I think the ‘alt right’ is a fair candidate, as would also be the perhaps later coined ‘ctrl left’? Both pretty nasty shots at the other side…

A propos of nothing else, I just heard on the Dutch radio that the WWOTY (WORST word of the year) here in Holland was - well, actually, it’s more of a phrase: “diervriendelijk vlees”. This translates to ‘animal-friendly meat’ - great unthinking irony. It is often seen on meat labels in the supermarket, for example, to tell the consumer that the meat has been produced without great torture of the animal concerned along the way. Except for the blunt bit at the end of course…

[ Edited: 08 December 2016 02:36 AM by BlackGrey ]

Posted: 08 December 2016 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26
BlackGrey - 08 December 2016 02:32 AM

I think the ‘alt right’ is a fair candidate, as would also be the perhaps later coined ‘ctrl left’? Both pretty nasty shots at the other side…

alt-right is not a shot at the other side. It is a self-identification by the far right.

Posted: 08 December 2016 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4465
Joined  2007-01-29

And this is the first I’ve heard of “ctrl left,” which is cute but I’m pretty sure not in actual use.

Posted: 08 December 2016 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

alt-right is not a shot at the other side. It is a self-identification by the far right.

Yeah, the “nasty shot from the other side” is neo-Nazi. The neutral, but descriptive term would be white supremacist.

Alt-right positions them as a legitimate alternative to mainstream conservatism. It’s not nasty at all.

Posted: 08 December 2016 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3451
Joined  2007-01-31

“diervriendelijk vlees”

In the US, the equivalent adjective is “cruelty-free”.

Posted: 08 December 2016 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2652
Joined  2007-02-19

“diervriendelijk vlees”

In the US, the equivalent adjective is “cruelty-free”.

I believe this was one of the concepts behind the invention, and the adoption, of the electric chair? Both phrases, the Dutch and the English, are truly as superbly ironical as “humane execution”.

Posted: 08 December 2016 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-02-15

Ah, apologies, my mistake re ‘alt right’. I am enough of a political animal to have heard the term, but not enough to understand it in context.

It does indeed have something of a positive gleam to it - if you are from the right I guess, an alternative right view I guess to describe a lot of the populism in the world right now if I am not again mistaken?

As stated, I figured it was a jibe from the left. Which is why I thought ‘ctrl alt’ (pronounced ‘control left’) epithet was also a slur on the perceived (by the right) tendency of the leftists to want to exert too much control over situations and politics.

It is in use, I don’t know how widespread it is, but I came across it on another forum where it was used in an anti-left way.

Enter ["ctrl left” politics] (sans square brackets) in a major search engine to see for yourself.

Here’s the first one from my search list just now:

http://spectator.com.au/2016/09/which-label-for-me-or-of-delcons-malcons-alt-right-ctrl-left-and-more/

PS I didn’t realise the electric chair was ‘advertised’ as humane or cruelty-free in the States, gallows humour indeed :-}

Posted: 08 December 2016 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1491
Joined  2007-02-14
BlackGrey - 08 December 2016 01:14 PM

As stated, I figured it was a jibe from the left. Which is why I thought ‘ctrl alt’ (pronounced ‘control left’) epithet was also a slur on the perceived (by the right) tendency of the leftists to want to exert too much control over situations and politics.

It’s also, on one level, somewhat inappropriate for referring to a progressive since ctrl-left-arrow moves the cursor back by one word.

Posted: 08 December 2016 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

What is af? What’s the context?

Posted: 08 December 2016 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26
Dave Wilton - 08 December 2016 02:43 PM

What is af? What’s the context?

Just an initialism meaning “as fuck”. It is not exactly brand new but it really took off this year.

Posted: 08 December 2016 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  2007-03-21

Just an initialism meaning “as fuck”. It is not exactly brand new but it really took off this year.

In Australia? I’ve never heard of it. Which means I’ll be the first to claim it in the states.

Posted: 08 December 2016 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-26
Oecolampadius - 08 December 2016 05:52 PM

In Australia? I’ve never heard of it. Which means I’ll be the first to claim it in the states.

It’s an Americanism.

First relevant UD cite is from 2011 but its use really started to become mainstream in the past year or so.

Bing hitcounts for “tired af” by year

2012: 15
2013: 17
2014: 20
2015: 62
2016: 9880

----

Some examples from the wild:

Taken 3 savaged on Twitter: The best reactions from sceptical fans
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/upcoming-movies/taken-3-savaged-on-twitter-the-best-reactions-from-sceptical-fans/news-story/3803a3767eb45285a432903f7a8037b7
“The third time you get taken its not a accident you just stupid af #Taken3 8:53 AM - 2 Oct 2014”

Fitmisc forum
http://www.fitmisc.net/forum/showthread.php?73827-woke-up-fat-af
“woke up fat af. smh looking gross gonna run soon caloric deficit is a lie” Sep 30, 2015

Fasterfood Tumblr
http://fasterfood.tumblr.com/post/47997748459/mirror-selfies-are-lame-af-so-i-took-mine-with-a
“Mirror selfies are lame af so i took mine with a bar of soap.”

[ Edited: 09 December 2016 09:23 AM by OP Tipping ]

1 of 2