This video recently surfaced on Twitter:

https://youtu.be/TJztLQg07lY

Were you involved at all, Dave?

Posted: 07 January 2017 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6274
Joined  2007-01-03

Unfortunately, I didn’t work on the dictionary myself, although I know Rob, Stephen, and the rest of the DOE staff. I was in the English department and the grad student work was reserved for those in the medieval studies program. (I got teaching jobs instead. Medieval studies has no undergraduates, so the teaching opportunities for those students are much fewer, so the dictionary work is one way to make up for that.)

The release of the letter H is a big deal. They’ve been working on it for about ten years. (Lots of Old English words start with H.) But the progress isn’t as slow as it seems. Most of the laborious grunt work for all the other entries has been done (lemmatizing the corpus, identifying the words, etc.), and there are draft entries for most of the words through the letter Y. (There are no OE words that start with Z; the letter appears in a handful of foreign borrowings, but it’s not native to OE.)

[ Edited: 07 January 2017 05:21 AM by Dave Wilton ]

Posted: 07 January 2017 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  342
Joined  2007-02-13
Dave Wilton - 07 January 2017 05:15 AM

(There are no OE words that start with Z; the letter appears in a handful of foreign borrowings, but it’s not native to OE.)

Want to lay bets on how many complaints they get once this thing is finished, that they stopped at Y?  An obvious rip off!

[ Edited: 07 January 2017 06:59 PM by Richard Hershberger ]

‹‹ phenology      HD: ADS WOTY ››