ph (abbreviation)
Posted: 23 January 2017 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3023
Joined  2007-01-30

I’m reading this article from the Washington Post and I’m having trouble with the abbreviation ph. An example:

Also today, the president signed (ph) designations for acting heads of executive departments and agencies to maintain continuity in those critical positions.

I thought at first that it might stand for photo, ie a photo was flashed up at the press briefing of Trump signing the designations. But that certainly doesn’t fit with the following extract:

QUESTION: Janet (ph).

SPICER: Janet (ph). I’m sorry.

QUESTION: Thank you. What did Mr. (ph) Curtis (ph) mean when he said that he would work through Congress to get special something - we don’t what it is (inaudible) recipients

No indication in the article of what it means and a quick google brought no illumination. Any ideas? (I hope I’m not going to have to kick myself because the answer is obvious!)

Posted: 23 January 2017 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1584
Joined  2007-03-21

this one has me stumped as well, Aldi. Could it mean (phonetic)? Was this document generated by voice recognition software or a court reporter and the (ph) might mean that the name or noun was generated phonetically and therefore a kind of apology if the name or noun might be spelled incorrectly?

This from a legal page:

ph means phonetic. that means the court reporter heard it and spelled it like it sounded…

[ Edited: 23 January 2017 01:54 PM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 23 January 2017 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3023
Joined  2007-01-30

Nice find, oeco!

Posted: 23 January 2017 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3986
Joined  2007-02-26

I was thinking that but surely “signed” should be pretty straightforward…

Posted: 23 January 2017 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1584
Joined  2007-03-21
OP Tipping - 23 January 2017 03:56 PM

I was thinking that but surely “signed” should be pretty straightforward…

If it were built into the vocabulary.