World Wide Words
Posted: 05 March 2017 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6323
Joined  2007-01-03

Michael Quinion has announced that he will no longer be updating the World Wide Words website. That is a shame as it has grown to become an extremely valuable resource. But time passes and circumstances change, and the site has had a very long, in internet years, run. The web site will, at least, continue to remain available in its current form for some time to come. So that is some consolation.

I, for one, wish Michael the best and hope that he will continue to contribute the world of lexicography, in some form or manner, for a long time to come.

Posted: 05 March 2017 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2007-01-30

That is terribly sad although I’m pleased to hear he’s not at death’s door. He’s certainly not in the pink though as I see in his message to subscribers linked on the page Dave links to. He mentions the closure of the OED Reading Programme about a year ago although OED itself speaks as if it is still current. On that page it mentions using paid and volunteer readers (I wouldn’t have minded a chance at the paid position had I known there were such!) but perhaps OED has simply stopped paying people for reading.

Whatever the situation Michael’s mention that he had lost access to the Online OED is very worrying. If his Bristol library has stopped it Portsmouth may not be far behind. The latter did chop off my access to Grove Music Online last year, damn their penny-pinching souls! If I can’t access OED my life would be much bleaker and I can just imagine how Michael feels. He can take pride though in what he has done to bring the joy of etymology to the masses. I know we’ll all miss him.

Posted: 06 March 2017 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1617
Joined  2007-01-29

I’m very sorry to hear about this.  His blog was concise, authoritative and entertaining and I wish him well. I’m also worried about OED access because our local library is in danger of closure, despite a vigorous local campaign to keep it open in some form.