Of periods and brackets
Posted: 25 March 2017 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3000
Joined  2007-01-30

I’m sure we’ve had threads before on this but I don’t think this question was raised.

Whether to put the period before or after the closing bracket if a parenthesis ends the sentence is something I’m always dithering over, sometimes using the one method sometimes the other. I had thought this was one of those British/American differences but googling to refresh my memory I chanced on this blog in which the blogess (I meant that as a joke but stopping to check I found a half-million hits!), in which, as I say, the blogess intones knowledgeably,

A full stop appears inside the brackets, if the bracket contains a complete sentence. ..... The full stop appears outside of the brackets if the brackets don’t contain a complete sentence.

Has this any foundation at all in reality? I’ve never heard of it before but then my grammar is intuitive since my formal education ended lo these ...., well, a long time ago!

Posted: 25 March 2017 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4462
Joined  2007-01-29

Has this any foundation at all in reality?

Not only does it have a foundation in reality, I would have thought it was so obvious as not to need stating—but then I’m a copyeditor, so consider it professional deformation! 

The period goes outside the parens (unless the parens enclose a complete sentence).

The period goes outside the parens.  (If the parens enclose a complete sentence, however, it goes inside.)

Doesn’t that make intuitive sense?

Posted: 25 March 2017 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1490
Joined  2007-02-14

I would think the alternative would be something like this:

The period goes outside the parens (If the parens enclose a complete sentence, however, it goes inside.){.?}

Posted: 26 March 2017 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3000
Joined  2007-01-30

Well, you live and learn. Or maybe you live, learn and forget. I don’t recall this coming up in previous threads but I could well be wrong. I’ll certainly remember it now (rashly offering a hostage to fortune). Now that last sentence could have bitten me right in the arse had I not been careful!

Posted: 26 March 2017 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3941
Joined  2007-02-26

Yeah makes sense to me logically, and additionally it’s what everyone does, basically.

One thing that makes sense to me logically but that no-one does is to terminate sentences within quotations with a full stop. “I’ve no idea why OP Tipping won’t just let that go.” they said.

Posted: 26 March 2017 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

I would think the alternative would be something like this:

The period goes outside the parens (If the parens enclose a complete sentence, however, it goes inside.){.?}

That looks really bizarre to me.  If I saw it in a text I was editing, I would correct it to my version without a second thought.

Posted: 26 March 2017 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2007-02-17

I don’t believe you. Your second thought would be to wonder how many similarly punctuated sentences you were going to encounter in the work in question, and whether the job was worth it.

Posted: 26 March 2017 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

You may well be right!

‹‹ Tenue      Free as in beer ››