1 of 2
Just a note on my new icon
Posted: 30 March 2017 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3023
Joined  2007-01-30

After sticking with my beloved Dryden for ages, then trying Hals’ Cavalier for a couple of weeks I’ve decided that it’s only right for Henry Carey to get the spotlight. He was one of the Tory wits in the days of Anne and the first two Georges, originator of the term namby pamby, writer of the popular song Sally In Our Alley and possibly wrote the melody and words for God Save The King. More importantly in the present instance was his authorship of the satirical drama Chrononhotonthologos in which the character Aldiborontiphoscophornio memorably appears. I just figured it was high time I gave him due credit for my handle.

Sorry to waffle on about this, I just thought that some might find my icon switching confusing. Carey is there to stay now.

Posted: 30 March 2017 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4513
Joined  2007-01-29

Thanks for explaining it!

Carey is there to stay now.

Oh, sure, you say that now, but who knows how you’ll feel in another decade?

Posted: 30 March 2017 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6321
Joined  2007-01-03

I, for one, am sorry to see Dryden go, but Carey is a fine choice, and my policy is that members should be free to choose the icon that they feel best represents them or what they aspire toward.

If anyone is wondering about mine...

Posted: 31 March 2017 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2654
Joined  2007-02-19

You did have me wondering, aldi. My reading is a lot patchier than yours, and this was my first encounter with Mr. Carey. You make him sound like a man of shining parts!

Posted: 31 March 2017 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  883
Joined  2007-02-07

Mine is, of course, a selfie.

Posted: 31 March 2017 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-30
Dave Wilton - 30 March 2017 08:34 AM

I, for one, am sorry to see Dryden go, but Carey is a fine choice, and my policy is that members should be free to choose the icon that they feel best represents them or what they aspire toward.

If anyone is wondering about mine...

I love that one and any reminder of Futurama can’t be bad. I’ve often wondered about some of the other avatars here: Lionello’s shell, Eliza’s mysterious something I can’t make out, Faldage’s view of Earth (?) from space which looks familiar and unfamiliar at the same time, droogie’s naked guy with some sort of mark on him, kurwamac’s butterfly and Dr Techie’s picture of someone whose identity I keep changing my mind about. It looks like Robespierre but who is that sinister person behind him (if person it be, the face looks almost alien). Is she, he or it brushing the sea-green incorruptible’s hair? Is that Robespierre’s gesticulating hand on the left of the frame? I’ve even thought this was Robespierre’s head being displayed to the public after being guillotined but the lower jaw seems quite intact and I’ve dismissed that theory now. I suspect I may be wide of the mark on everything about this avatar!

I do like happydog’s selfie. If you ever grow tired of your master you can be assured of a warm basket and regular supply of bones in this corner of England.

Posted: 31 March 2017 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1509
Joined  2007-02-14
aldiboronti - 31 March 2017 10:46 AM

Faldage’s view of Earth (?) from space which looks familiar and unfamiliar at the same time.

It’s the moon.  And that’s a bat in front of it.  It’s a self-deprecating comment on my political leanings.

Posted: 31 March 2017 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1617
Joined  2007-01-29

Mine is my own original work. (Many years ago). Aldi’s is totally appropriate, happydog’s description is excellent, but faldage’s - can’t work it out.  Maybe that’s the message. Who is the winsome young thing on Dr T’s icon?

[ Edited: 31 March 2017 11:54 AM by ElizaD ]

Posted: 31 March 2017 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3465
Joined  2007-01-31

I had thought mine was recognizable, even at the relatively small size, but perhaps not to as large a section of the populace as I believed.  The gesturing (that’s his [artificial] hand in the upper left corner) character with the wild hair is Rotwang, the mad scientist from Fritz Lang’s film,Metropolis.  The “winsome young thing” behind him is a robot he created, variously known as the Maschinenmensch (machine person), Hel (after a woman that Rotwang loved but who rejected him in favor of another) and (the false) Maria, after a leader of the workers’ movement whom the robot impersonates (having undergone a process that makes it appear identical to her).

My choice of this as my avatar involves a sort of personal in-joke, of which I will only say that is has nothing to do with the name Rotwang.

Eliza, I have to admit that I have wondered for years what yours was; I have only been able to make out that it was some sort of paper with what might be writing on it.

[ Edited: 31 March 2017 01:39 PM by Dr. Techie ]

Posted: 31 March 2017 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  883
Joined  2007-02-07

If you ever grow tired of your master you can be assured of a warm basket and regular supply of bones in this corner of England.

Cheers, mate!

Posted: 31 March 2017 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

Dr T, that page is immortalized in some obscure OED archive.

Posted: 01 April 2017 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-30

Metropolis! I should have known that as even though it’s been years since I last saw the film the robot herself is ubiquitous. The scientist’s name and face I’d completely forgotten.

That’s a very suitable avatar, eliza, with the OED connection. And Faldage, I see the bat now and to a comics-reader of old it’s impossible not to see it as the Bat-Signal.

Posted: 01 April 2017 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-19

I’ve often wondered about some of the other avatars here: Lionello’s shell.......

The shell is that of an Ammonite, a group of molluscs that flourished three of four hundred million years ago. “Old fossil” was the image I had in mind; I have little doubt that at age 88, I am the oldest more or less living participant in this forum. I don’t remember when i joined, but I do remember, most vividly, that my impertinent, excessively bumptious first posting got me into very hot water with ElizaD. Happily, that got sorted out, and Eliza (and, I hope, other participants) and I became friends.

Posted: 01 April 2017 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4513
Joined  2007-01-29

I should really add an avatar, I suppose.

Edit: Not bad; I should have done it years ago.  (That’s cropped from a photo of Emma Goldman addressing a crowd.)

[ Edited: 01 April 2017 01:29 PM by languagehat ]

Posted: 01 April 2017 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

Dave, have you taken exception to this thread???! All the icons have disappeared.

I can’t remember our first meeting, lionello - what was the thread?

Posted: 02 April 2017 03:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-19

I don’t remember what thread it was, Eliza (nor do I want to) --- but I made some fatuous crack about your use of the phrase “to tell you the honest truth”, and you shoved my remarks back down my throat, with interest.  Let it go --- it’s all water under the bridge, i hope.....  come to think of it, “the honest truth” may have taken on new, previously unsuspected meaning, in this new day of President Trump’s “alternative facts”.

1 of 2