Vanessa Collingridge’s accent
Posted: 30 October 2007 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3107
Joined  2007-02-26

Question to anyone familiar with the British presenter, Vanessa Collingridge: how would you describe her accent?

Her bio says she has an Irish father and Scottish mother, born in Oxfordshire but raised in Surrey. She has an accent that I find hard to categorise.

When she says “Captain Cook”, it sounds like an RP speaker saying “Captain Kirk”.

Posted: 30 October 2007 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2334
Joined  2007-01-30

Here’s a clip a short video clip of her talking about Cook.

Bookbites (RealPlayer video)

I did notice that the first time she says ‘Cook’ it does sound rather more clipped than would be expected and something like Kirk, the second or third time however it’s closer to the standard pronunciation. Otherwise, apart from a couple of words (’hinted’ leans toward ‘hented’) it sounds to me like the middle-class Home Counties English that passes for standard now. (Although, with my recent batting average, it could well turn out that everyone else will be surprised at my inability to detect a broad Glaswegian brogue). :)

Posted: 30 October 2007 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-02-22

I’d second aldi on that one.  Her accent is now pretty standard for a non-regional “BBC” accent, though it does sound a bit “public school” at times. (Note to Leftpondians - that’s a British public school...)

Posted: 31 October 2007 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  358
Joined  2007-02-13

Admit it OP, you have a crush on her.

Posted: 31 October 2007 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-02-15

Does sound like a bit of a mix of stuff, overlaid with modern RP.

Mind you, the way she said “discovered” had a hint of Black Country in it....

...I think.

Posted: 01 November 2007 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2007-01-29

Wiki entry on her:

She is the youngest of five children born in Oxfordshire to a Scottish mother and half Irish father, and was raised in Woking in Surrey, England.[1][2] She studied Geography at Hertford College, Oxford

I think her accent is just young southern English RP.  Her “Cook” pronunciation is pretty common among young professionals.