Two-frame
Posted: 23 April 2017 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3004
Joined  2007-01-30

Variety has me puzzled again by its ever-evolving jargon. It comes in a review of this week’s box-office at the movies. Writing of The Fate of the Furious (whose fury unfortunately looks to last for many a long year) it has:

A bankable, diverse cast including Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel and Charlize Theron is leading the film, directed by F. Gary Gray, to a two-frame global total of $744.8 million and worldwide sum of $908.4 million.

Right, in this frame we have the global total and in this one the worldwide sum. No, that doesn’t work. Let’s try this. In our global total the first frame is the US, the second is the UK or the UK plus Europe. No, that doesn’t work either, no division qualifies as global unless it is global and then we’re back to the global/worldwide problem.

Enough! Help needed. (And if it’s something obvious I shall certainly attempt to kick myself, difficult though that may be.)

Posted: 23 April 2017 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2007-02-24

Maybe you should ask Variety. It makes no sense at all, that I can see. Reads like someone trying to be too cute.

[ Edited: 23 April 2017 01:07 PM by Eyehawk ]

Posted: 23 April 2017 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3451
Joined  2007-01-31

Some Googling has led me to believe that “frame” is an interval of time in this context (i.e., time frame) but I’ve been unable to determine its length.  “Two-frame” thus (I suspect) means “first and second time frame” after release, and the difference between “two-frame global total” and “worldwide sum” is that the latter includes box-office receipts after the first two frames.  But I’m guessing.

Edit: This isn’t very authoritative, but suggests that “frames” are weekends.  So the distinction between “two-frame total” and “worldwide sum” could be that the latter includes weekday receipts.

[ Edited: 23 April 2017 01:23 PM by Dr. Techie ]

Posted: 23 April 2017 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3004
Joined  2007-01-30

I think you’re on the right track, Doc. This is the second weekend for The Fast and the Furious and two weekends ties in with two-frame nicely. And if you assume that the weekend figures are totalled on Friday then Saturday’s receipts would make up the difference between the sums. If that isn’t the solution then, as they say, it’ll do until the solution comes along.

Posted: 23 April 2017 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6275
Joined  2007-01-03

Yes, the frames are weekends (Fri-Sat-Sun receipts). And here global means foreign, whereas worldwide includes the US box office (global + domestic).

Posted: 23 April 2017 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2007-02-24

The older I get, the crazier people talk. Variety was not talking to me, but evidently to this generation. Oh, am I ever getting old.

Posted: 23 April 2017 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3944
Joined  2007-02-26

I think it is more a matter of industry jargon, rather than generational change.

Posted: 24 April 2017 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4465
Joined  2007-01-29

Well, it’s a combination.  I’m pretty sure industry insiders from a generation ago would be as baffled as we outsiders today.

‹‹ Cral, kral      Sport/ sexual intercourse ››