2 of 2
Odd pronunciation of ‘parent’
Posted: 20 May 2017 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3000
Joined  2007-01-30
Eyehawk - 19 May 2017 03:11 PM

It sounds like “pear” or “pair” to me. That is how I pronounce it here in the Iowa/Nebraska area. It sounds very much midwestern American.

There’s a problem there, Eyehawk. Saying it sounds like pear or pair tells me nothing about how you pronounce the word as it depends on how you pronounce pear or pair. This is why God created the phonetic alphabet. :)

Edit: Talk about the pastor who recks not his own rede, I’ve just realized I did precisely the same thing in the OP!

[ Edited: 20 May 2017 08:16 AM by aldiboronti ]

Posted: 20 May 2017 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6270
Joined  2007-01-03
languagehat - 20 May 2017 06:13 AM

I wouldn’t go that far.  I think the standard American pronunciation is with /ɛ/, not /æ/; that’s certainly how I say it.

Yeah, but the difference in vowel sound is pretty subtle.

Googling around, I’ve seen several sites that state that /ær/ is a combination that is not often found in American English, and /ɛr/ is far more common.  /ær/ doesn’t appear to be a regionalism. It could be idiosyncratic to Gilbert, or may even be a one-off pronunciation. Does he use the /ær/ combination elsewhere?

Posted: 20 May 2017 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-02-15

My tuppenceworth: as a student of phonetics in Rightpondia, I have long been aware of the pronunciation of parent as heard on most American tv programmes and the odd (stop it) acquaintance of mine: pah’rent - first syllable as in ‘pal’.

Here I am now on the brink of m 60th and now u tell me that it’s more often ‘p3rent’ just like the ole UK? Shirley shome mishtake pls tell me?

Posted: 20 May 2017 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3941
Joined  2007-02-26
Dave Wilton - 20 May 2017 09:07 AM

languagehat - 20 May 2017 06:13 AM
I wouldn’t go that far.  I think the standard American pronunciation is with /ɛ/, not /æ/; that’s certainly how I say it.

Yeah, but the difference in vowel sound is pretty subtle.

Googling around, I’ve seen several sites that state that /ær/ is a combination that is not often found in American English, and /ɛr/ is far more common.  /ær/ doesn’t appear to be a regionalism. It could be idiosyncratic to Gilbert, or may even be a one-off pronunciation. Does he use the /ær/ combination elsewhere?

There appears to be something of a split in the USA, near as I can tell, regarding the pronunciation of apparent (/ær/ versus /ɛr/). A similar split exists with regard to marriage. I’d think the /ær/ is big in Massachusetts.

The actor here sounds like a well-to-do Bostonian saying “apparent” but leaving out the “ap” part.

2 of 2

‹‹ Most donated books      shtum ››