Indus Script
Posted: 21 May 2017 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3938
Joined  2007-02-26

So what’s the deal with Indus Script? Was it writing?

Posted: 21 May 2017 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6265
Joined  2007-01-03

It’s definitely writing. The question is whether it’s linguistic or semiotic. Do the symbols represent a language, or are they simply signs without grammar? Lots of people have opinions, but no one knows.

Posted: 21 May 2017 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2007-02-24

Fascinating stuff. The symbols look like pictures only, but could they have combined them into words, or would the words have preceded them?

http://www.ancientscripts.com/indus.html

http://www.readindus.com

[ Edited: 21 May 2017 06:34 AM by Eyehawk ]

Posted: 21 May 2017 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2999
Joined  2007-01-30

It is a very interesting language and seems to be the oldest undeciphered writing system we know, apart from a handful of Chinese examples. Incredibly the odest of those, the Jiahu symbols, go back to 6600 BC, although as the wiki notes quoting a 2003 report in Antiquity, the symbols are interpreted by most scholars “not as writing itself, but as features of a lengthy period of sign-use which led eventually to a fully-fledged system of writing.”

It would be wonderful to see any of these scripts decoded but failing a Rosetta stone or something equally useful it’s hard to see that much progress can be made.

Posted: 21 May 2017 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3938
Joined  2007-02-26
Dave Wilton - 21 May 2017 04:48 AM

It’s definitely writing. The question is whether it’s linguistic or semiotic. Do the symbols represent a language, or are they simply signs without grammar? Lots of people have opinions, but no one knows.

Well then it appears I had a wrong idea. I thought that signs weren’t writing _unless_ they represented language.

Taking that reframed question: do _you_ (and the other experts here assembled) have an opinion on whether it is linguistic?

Posted: 22 May 2017 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6265
Joined  2007-01-03

Taking that reframed question: do _you_ (and the other experts here assembled) have an opinion on whether it is linguistic?

I don’t know enough, either about the script itself or the languages it may possibly represent, to have an informed opinion. I have to go with those who’ve studied it in depth, and they’re divided on the subject.

Posted: 22 May 2017 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4457
Joined  2007-01-29

I’ve looked into it a bit, though I’m certainly no expert, and I’m very skeptical that it represents a language… but then I’m a hardened skeptic.

‹‹ Wailing wall      spanty new ››