Dixonary
Posted: 22 May 2017 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-05-16

Hi all

I’ve been lurking around this site a wee while… and I’m wondering if Word Origin members might like to play an online game called Dixonary.

It’s a version of games like Balderdash and Dictionary, where an obscure word is posted and players make up fake definitions and then try to vote for the real one. We’ve been playing for more than 25 years, making it the oldest continuously played online game, and we’re looking for new players. It’s fun, takes very little time, and can be addictive.

Here’s an example. Without peeking in a dictionary (as it’s a game of trust), what’s the meaning of oxygal?

1.  Having sharp or pointed edges
2.  A rudimentary shelter
3.  Sour milk
4.  Of or relating to marsupials

(answer below...)

You can find the game here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/Dixonary
Basic rules: http://tinyurl.com/hu8ww5f

We’re a friendly bunch and keen to help out newbies!  It’s easy to join & we play by email. I’m happy to answer any questions.

Oxygal answer: If you picked 3, you would be correct, but if you picked 1, you have joined the bulk of the players who also voted for this (and made the player who wrote this definition the winner).

Posted: 22 May 2017 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4513
Joined  2007-01-29

Hi, KiwiGal!  The game sounds like fun, but that kind of thing is not really what this site is about; if you’ve been lurking for a while, you should have a good idea of what we do here, so hop aboard and join the crew!

Posted: 22 May 2017 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6321
Joined  2007-01-03

KiwiGal asked if the post would be appropriate, and I said it was. Announcements of word and language-related products and activities are not beyond the scope of this site. [But I am going to move it to the meta-forum.]

If anyone wants to join in the game, have at it. If it’s not your cup of tea, that’s fine too.